Alternator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

Hello everyone I am trouble shooting my charging system. My 56 International was changed over to a 12V system at some point. I am not sure what the alternator is from but I was told it could be late 60's Mopar. It is a 1 wire (plus grounding wire) alternator. When I hook it up I am getting 15.5 amps from, but it squeals like a pig when it is running. I thought it was the belt but I can't find one that doesn't squeal. When I unhook the ground wire the squealing stops though. I am concerned that it might be over charging the batt. Any ideas?

When you disconnect the ground, the alternator will spin much more free because it isn't creating a magnetic field. Are your pulleys lined up well?

Why do you think it's overcharging?

My father had told me that I should not be putting out more than 14amps. I just was not sure if putting almost 16 amps out would hurt the batt. Everything is lined up pretty well and it didn't always squeal like it does. I have ried several belts and adjusted the tension to see if it would resolve the problem, but it still does it. I have done the soap thing and that works for a couple minutes. I was hoping that it my alternator was not going south. I will keep playing with it to see if I can make it stop. Thanks for reply!

Even 14 amps seems high if there is no load on the system

So this is a battery wire, one wire to regulator system? The ground wire you speak of is to the regulator? This regulator is external correct....cause I'm not familiar with any internal regulated alternators in 60's mopars....are you sure it's a mopar alternator? 13 to 13.5 VOLTS would be normal output with near no load....but since the ignition system doesn't draw more than 3 to 6amp or maybe less, I'd question why the alternator is putting out 14amps with no real load....guess if you could take a pic of the system, maybe we can help a bit more...at this point, i'm suspecting a faulty regulator...but would help to see the set up...

Sarge is right, your Dad meant to say not more than 14 VOLTS, not amps. The squealing is strange, never had one do that but it is evidently telling you that it is putting a load on the belt when charging. Perhaps the pulley on the alternator vs the ones on the crank is overdriving it, making it spin too fast ?

Don

Sounds like you are full fielding the alternator.....I'm pretty sure a stock Mopar alternator is not capable of being used without an external regulator.

If you full field the old Mopar alt by grounding the field it will charge full. If you have an old style Chrysler alt they have an output terminal screw that goes to the battery. They have a ground brush and a field brush. Looking at the back of the altenator going clockwise you have the output, then the ground, then the field. Somewhere around 64 65 they used a very simple voltage regulator that is about 2 inches square. it will say field and ignition on it. it goes in the wire from the ignition to the field. When the system overcharges it simply opens up and stops charging. If you have only 2 places for wires on your altenator, the regulator goes to the spade terminal. Go to the parts store and ask for a 1964 Dodge, plymounth, chrysler voltage regulator and put it in. With this system, you will get a jummpy gauge because when the regulator kicks in it charges. When the regulator kicks out it quits charging but they work well.

Attachments

• P1010001 (1).jpg
    P1010001 (1).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 29
I just realized how really old I am....That Mopar voltage regulator is a 50 year old part! There is a buy it now on e-bay for $14.00 if you local autoparts don't have one:eek:

Ok I've read this a few times , that is the original atl correct that came with the truck after the change over ? ok if so how old is the atl and how long ago was the change over ? I would just say the bearings are gone . So take it off and take it to the local auto parts store and have them spin it on their machine and check it and listen, I'll bet it's just junked and it squeals like a pig at the auto parts store also ???

when you add the ground I'd say your exciting the alt causing it to charge putting it under a load putting stress on the bearings ??

Heck what do I know I sell snow cones for a living :(

What you do to make a living has no bearing.....

ok i've read this a few times , that is the original atl correct that came with the truck after the change over ? Ok if so how old is the atl and how long ago was the change over ? I would just say the bearings are gone . So take it off and take it to the local auto parts store and have them spin it on their machine and check it and listen, i'll bet it's just junked and it squeals like a pig at the auto parts store also ???

When you add the ground i'd say your exciting the alt causing it to charge putting it under a load putting stress on the bearings ??

Heck what do i know i sell snow cones for a living :(

get it??? No bearing......

Even if this altenator squeals like a pig it should not put out 15.5 volts. It should be around 13.2. It has to have some kind of regulator. You can use the old style chrysler regulator on any make altenator just by hooking it to the field.

Even if this altenator squeals like a pig it should not put out 15.5 volts. It should be around 13.2. It has to have some kind of regulator. You can use the old style chrysler regulator on any make altenator just by hooking it to the field.

Without seeing what we are working with, internal external mopar ford toyota bmw ??. how many alt's turn out 15.5 amp ??? almost every time I thought it was a belt it's the bearings..[S

Don't listen to me, was that grape or cherry ??? oh pineapple !!

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how quickly a thread can be hijacked???

Sorry.....sure wish there were pictures of the alternator and or system....I'm sure we could help him / her sort it out....

Hey guys, I finally got back to the alternator problem. I have taken some pictures. I was waiting for my father to come jump me (don't know what I will do when I don't have him to rescue me) because the batt was dead so it was the perfect time. I tightened the belt again and the squealing has stopped for now, although I have tried this several times. The truck will run for a few days and then the batt will be dead. It still says it is charging at the 15V. Someone had told me all alternators have regulators but now I know that is not true. Here is a pic of the alternator if anyone has any clue what it is I would appreciate it. Thanks again and sorry it took so long to get pics to this thread.

Attachments

• Alt. International.jpg
    Alt. International.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Alt 2 International.jpg
    Alt 2 International.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 18
I hooked up my vintage tester and now it is reads just under 12V. That would explain the batt not charging huh. I wish I had a picture of when it was overcharging. Does anyone rebuild alternators anymore or should I just go ahead and invest in a new one. Thanks for all of the help!

Attachments

• International volts.jpg
    International volts.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2
It looks like you don't have any room for adjustment left to tension the belt? If you've killed the battery dead enough times, it may not hold a charge anymore. If that ALT is that old, you may be better off finding a newer one wire ALT and just replace it.

You could try putting a belt on it that's an inch shorter, at least then you could tension the belt properly. If you had a slightly larger diameter pulley that would work, although you would be slowing the alternator down. Yes, it's an early Chrysler.

Latest posts

Back