Motor Monday... whatcha got?!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused :confused:
Are you guys talking about Don's retro dragster with the Gen III "modern" hemi (no visible Mag, maybe it's using electronic ignition, dunno why it's not using all 16 plugs) or the 426 in the Flower car? Hard to tell with the duct tape on the valve covers if it's covering holes or just keeping the plug wire boots in place [S[S

I typed too slow, zz. :eek:

Doc could there be little jumper wires across the tops of the plugs?

Hold the line, Mac...

I think it's a newer picture of a "throw-back" type event. Maybe 2-hole valve covers on a "single" head? Would the single spark plug line up? Either way, good catch.

*Edit: it's also a 392, so, coil-on-plug with wires running to mock valve covers for nostalgic looks - ??

You're absolutely right, mav. The plug will not line up. You also put most of the puzzle together and forced me to do some sleuthing...

Garlits, at Chrysler's request, modified a modern "392" for the display/cackle car shown. Since the new hemi heads have dual plugs, the valve covers have to match, but Garlits only uses one plug. It's a strange looking deal and if I were to build a similar "poser", I would have to fake the second plug complete with fake wiring. :p

So does this mean I can put hemi valve covers on my SBC engine, just to make it look sexy? :D [ddd

Down side is that old hemi valve covers cost almost as much as SBC engines. :eek: :mad:

Motor Monday: Kool Nail!!! [dr

BoB

Attachments

• 12pacnail.jpg
    12pacnail.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 21
Speaking of V8 Corvairs, my classmate at college built one of the first rear engine sbc Corvairs. Unfortunately, he died in it too. It was in magazines around 1962. You can read about it on the interweb.

Speaking of V8 Corvairs, my classmate at college built one of the first rear engine sbc Corvairs. Unfortunately, he died in it too. It was in magazines around 1962. You can read about it on the interweb.

Very sad. :(

We just bought an acreage. The previous owner has a crown conversion V8 Corvair made into a widebody as well. He's moving to ZZ's general neck of the woods, with all the curvy roads. Luckily he's an old guy so he's got enough wisdom to not kill himself. ;)

Last edited:
Very sad. :(

We just bought an acreage. The previous owner had a crown conversion V8 Corvair made into a widebody as well. He's moving to ZZ's general neck of the woods, with all the curvy roads. Luckily he's an old guy so he's got enough wisdom to not kill himself. ;)

The Crown conversions are very nice. The ones I've seen are in '65 and newer Corvairs with fully independent rear suspensions, not swing axles. Less chance of death by Corvair.

I built all the parts to put a Corvair engine and transaxle in a VW. Had it 95% finished. Sold it to a guy that finished it. He kept bringing it over and showing me how well it worked out. I was pretty irritated with myself for selling it.

The Crown conversions are very nice. The ones I've seen are in '65 and newer Corvairs with fully independent rear suspensions, not swing axles. Less chance of death by Corvair.

I built all the parts to put a Corvair engine and transaxle in a VW. Had it 95% finished. Sold it to a guy that finished it. He kept bringing it over and showing me how well it worked out. I was pretty irritated with myself for selling it.

His looks nice. He had a stock one that he sold after we made the house deal as well as the Crown widebody. I believe they're both 65-66. I've heard that the biggest issue with the Crown V8 Corvairs is getting enough leg room in the front seat. Apparently they're great if you're not a tall guy.

As for the VW story, I guess that's why I don't sell much... :eek:

Latest posts

Back