28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOOOO sometimes I really **** my self off and over think and over research things. After much more reading I have come to the conclusion that all wheels SHOULD be Hub Centric and are from OE manufacturers. Most all aftermarket makes of aluminum wheels are now supplied with a poly ring to adapt their wheel to the application thus making them hub centric unless you don't get the rings. Steel wheels are a totally different story they have chosen to just go Lug Centric and really it should work ok 90% of the time. Here lies the issue, the wheel studs are designed to apply a horizontal force against the wheel at a specific torque to hold the wheel on the vehicle and transfer the axle torque to the wheel. The Hub to wheel contact is designed to absorb shock loads to the wheel and keep it centered, something the studs were not designed to do. For the most part there would never be a problem, but I live in a Province with some of the worst roads in the country.
I think trying to change the mind set of the inspector will be more of a frustration and test of my anger management abilities than I want to test.
I checked into buying Hub Centric rings but the Wheel Vintiques have an odd ball center hole size. 81.2 mm so I would have to have a custom set made , about $100. U.S. or $170. Cdn delivered, but due to covid it could take a month or so.
So as Merc Mac does I put the imagineering skills to the test the last day or so and have come up with a plan which I will reveal in a future post. :D

What a load of male bovine manure!!!!
There's thousands of 600+ horse power vehicles running on the roads, not to mention the off road, and very few if any wheel failures because of lug centered wheels when they are properly installed and torqued.

Yet another case of some dumb a$$ desk jockey with a degree in some obscure
field trying to justify his job by coming up with a load of chit he thinks makes sense.

I'm thru ranting now!!!:eek::eek:[S:eek::eek:

What a load of male bovine manure!!!!
There's thousands of 600+ horse power vehicles running on the roads, not to mention the off road, and very few if any wheel failures because of lug centered wheels when they are properly installed and torqued.

Yet another case of some dumb a$$ desk jockey with a degree in some obscure
field trying to justify his job by coming up with a load of chit he thinks makes sense.

I'm thru ranting now!!!:eek::eek:[S:eek::eek:

I hear ya Pops and I agree, but it's easier to make the centering rings than fight with the MAN so to speak.

So in stead of fighting the he MAN i'm just gonna do what he wants. I cam up with a plan to build my own centric rings. I used some 1/4"aluminum cut into 13/64 strips cut on my table saw using a 42 tooth carbide tipped blade. Formed them into circles and welded them together forming perfect HUB CENTRIC rings. The video explains it way better. https://youtu.be/GPyiB7jzckY

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Hub Centric 008.jpg
    Resize of Hub Centric 008.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Resize of Hub Centric 009.jpg
    Resize of Hub Centric 009.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Resize of Hub Centric 010.jpg
    Resize of Hub Centric 010.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Resize of Hub Centric 011.jpg
    Resize of Hub Centric 011.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Resize of Hub Centric 012.jpg
    Resize of Hub Centric 012.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 32
Very nice work, Dozer.

X2 This is exactly what I was thinking of in my earlier reply. [cl[cl[cl. I might add a couple small beads of weld on the outer diameter to make a small lip so that they cant walk outward just to make the argument that they can't work their way out. Good luck at the inspection. [P[P

X2 This is exactly what I was thinking of in my earlier reply. [cl[cl[cl. I might add a couple small beads of weld on the outer diameter to make a small lip so that they cant walk outward just to make the argument that they can't work their way out. Good luck at the inspection. [P[P

That wouldn't keep them from walking out, but would keep them from walking in. You'd need a small lip or flange on the back side to keep them from coming to the outside, which I doubt they would anyway.

Will he make you pull a wheel to see if it has a lip on the back?

That is great solution to the problem. [cl My first thought was to just turn them out on a lathe, but you addressed that idea right off.

Very nice work, Dozer.

Thanks Bob

Thanks Kenny, they are a real tight fit on the hubs, the left front one was the first I made and I JB welded it to the hub if the others walk out I will do the same to them.

That wouldn't keep them from walking out, but would keep them from walking in. You'd need a small lip or flange on the back side to keep them from coming to the outside, which I doubt they would anyway.

Will he make you pull a wheel to see if it has a lip on the back?

I doubt it, he said just to bring it back so he could see the rings in place and we are good to go.

That is great solution to the problem. [cl My first thought was to just turn them out on a lathe, but you addressed that idea right off.

Thanks Skip.

no room left to argue [cl

Exactly, cuz he holds all the cards and something else I own in his hands. :D:D

Now you'll start having little issues like I had yesterday. A week ago I hit something on the driveway going out and blew a tire. Swapped the mag wheel out to my steel wheel spare. Ran my spare for a week before getting a new tire on the mag wheel. I went to swap wheels yesterday and my steel wheel (hubcentric) was rusted to the hub. For a long minute the woods rang out here with an old fool speaking jibberish to the animals...a 5 minute pit stop turned into a 30 minute cuss fest...

Now you'll start having little issues like I had yesterday. A week ago I hit something on the driveway going out and blew a tire. Swapped the mag wheel out to my steel wheel spare. Ran my spare for a week before getting a new tire on the mag wheel. I went to swap wheels yesterday and my steel wheel (hubcentric) was rusted to the hub. For a long minute the woods rang out here with an old fool speaking jibberish to the animals...a 5 minute pit stop turned into a 30 minute cuss fest...

LOL I would have liked to have watched the affair, the humidity must be terrible down there.

It's only been on a week and was rusted so well you may have thought I welded it on. Doesn't take long down here. Problem is...if you paint them, they won't fit on!:rolleyes:

Finally got my sticker

My safety is complete, took it back up to the city the mechanic never even wanted to look at the centering rings I made. I had sent him a link to the youtube video of how I looked after the problem and that all he needed.

I just hit 2000 km on the car it is running really well but I still can't figure out if the carb is set right. I have been conversing with Doc C and Edelbrock about it. The Tech guy from Edelbrock shed some light on why I can't get any color on the plugs, todays fuel has ethanol and so many cleaners in it he said you would have be extremly rich and after 5000 miles at the most the plugs would be a light brown like the color of cardboard. So after much thought and research I have to come to a decision. The cross country trip we are planning, the price of fuel and the time it takes to get parts for the big old 440, the dodge is going to get a modern heart transplant this winter. Saturday I went on a road trip and picked up a 2005 Chrysler 300 5.7 Hemi and Nag 1 5 speed auto for next to nothing. It had an encounter with a deer at high speed. I had comtemplated this idea when I first started the build 4 years ago but there was no support for doing it at the time, since there the Dodge community has jumped all over it to compete against the LS craze.Here's a couple photos and a video.

https://youtu.be/U2e9EYqD0bY

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of 20210516_070354.jpg
    Resize of 20210516_070354.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Resize of 20210516_070425.jpg
    Resize of 20210516_070425.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 39