A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mercury Mac with a Mack![cl What is it, a B-61? I love those old trucks, have always wanted to put one on a one ton pickup and have a hauler/trailer puller.

This whole patching and fixing old rusty wheels idea seems like a formula for disaster to me until I remind myself that this beast will never go faster than 20 or 30 MPH tops. Nice work. I am sure you fellas know what you are doing. :D

Skip, you`re kinda` right about welding up rusty old wheels, but they will only go 12 mph. at best, so no fear of them flying apart. I will pull a plow for a day or maybe two so there will be some torque stress on them. Mostly it will sit in a shed or go in a parade or tractor show. I don`t actually know what I`m doing, I`m learning how to patch wheels.

I gave the wrong impression about the old Mack. The neighbour wanted to buy it and wanted me along for my trucking experience so I could look into the iron and see how it was rebuilt. After an hours drive we pulled into the guys yard and met him. He turned out to be an old friend of mine. We had trucked together, and been in the old tractor club together. He is a very fussy builder and not cheap. I gave the neighbour the nod to buy the truck. It is a bright red B-61. Bama, that`s what I suggested too¸ (set the cab on a newer one ton), but then when I saw the truck I changed my mind. It is too nice of a truck to take apart.

I never patched a rim/wheel before but I have welded my own bead locks on a 16.5 before. They were strictly off road use never had a problem and wheels the crap out of that buggy let’s just say I can’t count ho many times flops/rollovers beat it to hell been to all the good runs KOH, Table Mesa list goes on. The structure of a patch to a wheel will be always a week point. Just be careful what ur doing know ur doing it right and don’t push the limits to be cheap it could hurt you or someone els in long run.

MM,
Much more satisfaction in rebuilding & modifying than in replacement even if it is more work. [cl[;)[cl When you get those rims all welded up they will perform like new, great job. I widened & welded up two sets of old rims for my Vintage AC pulling tractor and had no issues. The torque on the rims when that moveable weight is on the skid pad is a ton. Going to be a lot of fun to play with when it's done.:D

Disagree 100% I work with some of the biggest equipment in the US. As far as structured and putting bandaid on it to make it work never flies.. When we get a hair line crack in a frame, wheel failure ect. Cost and doing it right is only way to go. Not saying I done crazy shady **** to make it work as we all have. But end of the day just be safe know what ur doing and the potential of failure it could have. Just saying.. 😉

I'm thinking a little bit of overkill as we are not talking about
$100,00 + big equipment, just a vintage parade tractor that maybe will see 10-15 mph. Your right on being safe when dealing with old vintage tractors & trucks. [cl
I've been in this vintage tractor game for 50+ years and your right no matter how well you build it or repair it **** happens & you need to be aware of what might go south next. Just my feeling, It's All Good [cl[cl[cl

Guys, this might sound like bragging, but I have been building things all of my life, with quite a bit of success. I give each thing a lot of thought as to how strong it has to be for its application. I`ve partially rebuilt òffroad`log trailers that had to carry double the legal weight, twenty four hours a day, and tandem gravel trailers, and biggish farm equipment.
These tires will only have 15 lbs. of air pressure, travel at 2 - 3 mph. and mostly have very little torque on them.
Anyhow, I did a bit more welding today, but mostly I fired up my sand screener and scraped a dry layer of sand up (about 1 1/2 -2 inches) between rain showers. I got a wheelbarrow full.

Under the circumstances I would not be afraid of your wheels. These tractors were way over built when new and never intended to last this long. I've seen tractors and wood rigs so rotted that you could see the tube showing through and still operating. I wouldn't encourage it or try it myself. I have widened rims for my father's pulling tractor that my young teenaged nephew would run. If I thought anyone was at risk I would not have built them. Keep at it they will come out fine,[P[P

Like I posted just know what your doing if your comfortable with it do it it doesn’t matter it doesn’t matter if your 50, 60, or 75 have all the history in ur books. I always look up to my elders that have knowledge and some of us young bucks can learn a thing or two. The saying is the older the wiser. Shoot I heard some crazy stories in my life and its usually from my older peers.

MM & KC, times 2 on what you said. :). Looking forward to seeing the rims fully welded and prepped for paint. They will look great with those new rear tires your buddy gave you. Keep at it.[P

Thank you guys, for your interest.
Misbe, The older, the wiser, is a saying, but some guys can age a lot and still not accumulate much wisdom. I hope I`m not in that group. In fact, the guys on this forum are not in that group. My confidence level in physics and building is quite high, because I`ve had pretty good luck with my builds throughout my life.
28, over-kill building is not for me either. I like it strong enough, but not so big and heavy that you have to worry about another area not handling the stress you`ve just added unnecessarily.

MM, I built two wider sets of rims for my vintage AC sled pulling tractor that were 12x28" and 12x 38". Was real happy with both sets. Just a reminder (you may already do this) after the rims are finish welded & painted rap the center inside flat area with a layer of duck tape to protect the tube from rubbing on the area you worked on. And yes I am one of the "old dudes" that has learned from past experience.

Mbh, Like I have always said if it works try it. Just another "old school" "old dude" trick that has saved a lot of tubes ;)

28, I thank you for the tape idea. Tonight, I was just wondering what to use as a boot and tape will work just dandy.
Here`s the almost finished easy wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 12
MM, looking real nice. Are you happy with your weld penetration?[;) From past experience I would put two or three layers of tape on the center flat area to keep tube from rubbing or sticking. Be sure to finish paint the rims first as it helps with the smoothness. Unless you really need the weight I would not load the rear tubes. Keep at it, looks like your near ready for the second one.:eek:

Latest posts

Back