No other like it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 1-5/8" x 1/8" wall polycarbonate tubing.
It will handle high temperatures, high pressure, and UV qualities are listed as "good", whatever that means.

http://www.copeplastics.com/polycarbonate-tubing.html

Just in case the prolonged clamping combined with heat, would eventually deform the ends at the connections, I put stainless steel inserts inside each coupling.

I just took some 1-3/8" stainless tubing and cut a ton of 1/2 inch sections, and painstakingly deburred each one inside and out. Then I pushed them into the tubes.

I read on a few different sites that you can join the tubing with fittings and cement. Well, no, I could never find fittings. So that was out.

Here's a tip (tongue in cheek) for anyone wanting to do anything like this. Get a standard size! I went to the plastic place and asked for 1-1/2" tubing. They said all they had in stock was 1-5/8". I figured that was close enough, and bought it. Well, those little silicone couplers sure as heck don't come in 1-5/8" sizes, but yes, it was close enough. Then I ordered all of those nice clamps just a little too small. I had to bend the T-bolt on each one, and cut down the little area where the clamping nut seats, just to get the bolt through enough to put the nut on. Now they might leak, and I'll have to reorder 10 clamps that are the right size. I bought the tubing over a year ago. I could have just ordered the 1-1/2" stuff and waited for it, and saved a ton of problems. Haste makes waste. :eek:

UV qualities are how well it stands up to sun light. A lot of clear plastics eventually turn yellow and/or get brittle with sun exposure over time. Could be a year, could be ten. Fun idea.

What I mean is - What does "good" mean? [S
If the temperature rating was "good" I wouldn't trust it. I left the tube outside for that last 16 months or so, and it still looks like new. Hopefully it'll be good for more than a few years. I read somewhere that it blocks 88% of UV where they were using it for a chemical case to store UV sensitive mixtures. Oh well, if it doesn't work out, it'll be easy to replace.

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably notice age before it becomes a concern. And figure if the temp ever gets to 250˚ that pipe will be the least of your worries! Just don't go dropping hammers and stuff on it. :rolleyes:

8 Liter, Man you gotta roll that thing outside and get us a side view of it. The last one I could find was a 3/4 mock up. Looks like you're going to need to start turning half an hour before you get to the corner.

Maybe you could find some clear UV inhibited for the propane coolant.

Hey Earthman, are you posting pics of the '52 S-10?

Awesome. It's nice to get positive feedback.

I was planning on rolling it out into the driveway last night, but I hit some snags.
I did work through most of those snags, and started it up at about 1 AM. I was finally able to fill it with water and let it warm up and circulate for the first time. It's pretty cool to watch the water pump prime and purge everything, and see exactly when the thermostat opens. What's not cool is leaky water pumps. I knew better, and was going to pick one up after work, but I remembered too late, and told myself it would be fine. Wrong. Oh well. I had to braze a threaded fitting onto the heater hose port on the water pump for the vaporizer water line. Now I get to melt it off and put it on the new one. It's an opportunity for more practice at brazing.

So I let it run for about an hour while I fiddled with things, like checking temperatures and turning the fans on and off. The thermostat opens pretty much exactly at the temperature stamped on it, which kinda surprised me.

I decided to go with the high pressure style stainless braided flex hoses for the coolant to the vaporizer. I couldn't find a clear flexible hose that would take heat. That's okay though, they match the oil lines, and should last forever.

I'm going out of town, but when I get back, I'll get it rolled out and take some progress pictures. I may even get some video in the daytime when I do the new water pump and flush out the dirty water. I've gotta adjust those valves first and get it quieted down though.

I also got to sit in it and put it in gear and rock it back and forth. Kinda makes ya feel like a little kid again. Like back when all you did was move a few inches forward and backward to help dad hook up a trailer.

A couple more pictures before I take some time off for a road trip to Missouri.
I was finally able to adjust the bend of the shifter. For some reason that's one of my favorite things. To get that shifter just right, so it sits right where your hand goes right to it, makes me feel like I accomplished something important.
Both pictures are in neutral, between first and second.

Before

After

Getting the shifter in the right spot is one of the most important aspects. Right up there with figuring out how you're gonna hang your arm out the window when you cruise. :D:D

You'll always know when your coolant is getting cruddy.

Missouri? People pay big money to come here in the winter. No one in their right mind leaves! Oh wait, maybe that explains everything. Have a safe trip.

Nice steering wheel, looks like it's going to work well.

Best of all, you don't have to sit in it and make those vroooom noises any more.

Missouri? People pay big money to come here in the winter.

I know. It's been about 30 degrees there, and it's now 75 degrees here. Oh well, I used to live in cold country. I can take it for a few days. Now if I had to try to be productive and build something in that weather, that's a different story.

Anyway, I'm gonna see some family that I haven't seen in 20 years, and it's my dad's mother's 100th birthday on the 21st. [cl Everybody's coming to see her.

The other part that kinda sucks, is that most of the driving will be at night. I figure I'll hit Oklahoma at about sunrise. So much for old-car-spotting across NM and TX.

Check out the Land Rush Monument in Oklahoma City. Coolest monument I think I've ever seen. Keep your eyes open in MO. - you'll get to see what real rust looks like.

Latest posts

Back