1930 Model A truck build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clamp

Rear all in there and it only takes a few minutes using these clamps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 116
Mock up

Did a quick mock up want to make sure it will be low enough in the front. I don't know about the angle of the front wish bones. I can move the mount to top of the frame may look better. Any suggestions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 150
If that's going to be your ride height I think I would level out the wish bones.
It would look better. IMHO for what that's worth.

I still love your Mack!

Looks like when the engine is in the angle will be even more severe. I think when the radius rods are close to level they look better, but you know what opinions are like.:)

Radius rods

Ya I'm going to move the mount up to top of tubing, instead of bottom. Will see what gets done tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

there is some argument as to locating the pivot point below the spindle makes the front end dive and have less traction when braking and if it is above the front end wants rise up and over the axle when braking. I don't think it makes a big difference with long enough rods.besides it looks best when the pivot and spindle are at the same height.

Build

Had a few minutes to work on truck. Moved mount for radius rods, looks better I think. Also started to set motor in and going to work on transmission mount next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 121
Update

Small update working on rear end got a narrowing kit and only had to shorten one side four inches to center the pinion, also built a axle brace, and working on air bag mounts. Shock mounts next and finish up welding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 105
Nice work. I like the hairpins better leveled.....and I thought you said this was going to be a slow build???:) You seem to be making good progress!

Keep the pictures (and tips) coming.

Thanks I will try to keep pictures going. Been lucky to have some extra time in the shop.

Here's a way to tap tubing for four bars or tie rods ect. Weld a piece of tube to angle iron and use it to hold tape straight. You can use a piece that you cut of seems to work ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
Here it is in action tapping rear pan hard rod. Vice grips hold it pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 90
Rear pan hard rod, in hind sight air bags could of went on top of rear end. Shocks will have to go in front of axle and angle forward, or go on outside of frame. I don't think that would work good. Front shocks and front pan hard also need some thought. Front shocks mounted to hair pins, has any tried that yet? Does it work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I've seen front shocks mounted to split wishbones but I can't recall seeing them mounted to hairpins.
I would think that it would require some sort of plate between the upper and lower arms on the hairpin for structural support.
Lets see what anyone else has to say.
Build is looking great.
Torchie.

Rear pan hard rod, in hind sight air bags could of went on top of rear end. Shocks will have to go in front of axle and angle forward, or go on outside of frame. I don't think that would work good. Front shocks and front pan hard also need some thought. Front shocks mounted to hair pins, has any tried that yet? Does it work?
Kass

Are the air bags going on the pads is see where the threaded rod is now ?

If you have not yet bought your bags PM me and I will tell you who NOT to buy from........

Oldog

Have bags already left over from another project, yes they will go we're threaded rods are. Hope to get some work in on it this week.

Latest posts

Back