BB Chevy engine ID

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
Perhaps you Chevy numbers gurus out there can help narrow down the year of the engine I just got. I'm guessing it's truck motor, has the HI PERF PASS wording above the oil filter (common) , casting # at the rear 3999289 and GM 1T. Casting #'s on the heads is 346236. The T400 I got with it has the deep pan and bolt on yoke so that tells me for sure it is from a truck.

Attachments

• DSC01346.jpg
    DSC01346.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01347.jpg
    DSC01347.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 20
Hey Doc, thanks !! I was hoping it was a 70's engine, the multi groove pulleys made me wonder if it was newer, hoping it didn't have the lousy little peanut intake port heads found on RV engines from the 80's.
I haven't removed the alternator to look at the front of the block for the stamped numbers yet...

Last edited:
My pleasure zz... however, a Packard is almost an RV... idn't it? :D

Post that ID stamping if it has one, for curiosity's sake if nothing else.

the best thing to do with those heads is melt them down and cast some thing useful out of them.

they are the infamous "peanut port" heads, also that intake mounts the carb lower than the top of the intake ports, very bad for performance, but good for hood clearance.

spend some money and find true oval port heads from 71-76 era, and run a Edelbrock or Weiand high rise. you'll gain much HP and way better MPG.

My pleasure zz... however, a Packard is almost an RV... idn't it? :D

Post that ID stamping if it has one, for curiosity's sake if nothing else.

Dr.C, yer too funny...
Stamped on the front pad is T0502TRH

the best thing to do with those heads is melt them down and cast some thing useful out of them.

they are the infamous "peanut port" heads, also that intake mounts the carb lower than the top of the intake ports, very bad for performance, but good for hood clearance.

spend some money and find true oval port heads from 71-76 era, and run a Edelbrock or Weiand high rise. you'll gain much HP and way better MPG.

That sucks on the heads, some research on the intake - 3955287 - shows it to be an earlier 70's one. Anyways, I'll be using an Edelbrock performer intake and will just port match the heads to it, not trying to wring big performance from it, torque and mileage are the main objectives..

T0502TRH:

T =Tonawanda plant
0502 = May 2nd
TRH= '73-'80 454

Sorry, that doesn't narrow it down much. If there's a second number stamped, it'll tell the year.

TH400 with a bolt on yoke could be from an RV as well. My old 84 Winnebago had a 454 & a trans like that. They were often built on 1 ton truck chassis.

Latest posts

Back