A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MM That MH & Country of origin is cool :D if for no other reason than you know it was not imported to Canada from the States.

Looks like that brake drum had not been off for many/many years.:eek:

I wrapped up quite a bit of yardwork over the last few days. I went out to an old Massey-Harris parts tractor to get a big nut and washer to hold one wheel on. Well, it was stubborn, until I took my old friend the OX/A torch out there and warmed it up red. I could have taken that nut off with my fingers after that. Well I'm just guessing, I didn't actually try it with my fingers, but it spun off easily with a big socket. While I was coming back with the big hot nut and acetylene outfit, I stopped and dug out the two wheel weights that I hope to use. I got them partly sandblasted tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpg
    IMG_2784.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 13
Wheel weights looking nice. How many #'s each? You should be able to fab up some adapters to bolt them on your wheels.[S[;):D

28, I can't lift the weights and in the serial numbers on them it says 262 8R. One guess is that 262 might be the pounds. I also found a JD insignia on them, so I'll have to keep that part against the wheel so nobody catches on.
Here they are all painted up.
The second picture is the new seal installed, [wet]. That part went well, but from there on ---not so much. I pressed on the drum, [quite a tight fit] and the last little bit it would not go. For some reason I tried to turn the axle, and found it seized. Something was jamming the drum. Did I mention that the drum is a really tight fit, well it was horrible to get back off again. There were threaded 1/2" holes in the back of the drum to help pull it off, the first time I pulled it. The half inch bolts pulled the threads out of the holes, so I bored them out and retapped them to 9/16" and found some good solid 9/16" threaded rod. This time it pulled so hard, that I wrecked the 9/16" threads. I retapped it out to 5/8" and found some 5/8" long bolts with lots of thread. That and some heat pulled the drum off. See high up in the right side there is one long bolt holding on the bearing retainer. That had jammed into the drum. I had taken the nuts all off that retainer and then couldn't get the retainer out of there so I took the seal out with a screwdriver and a homemade seal puller. So I then put the nuts back on and tightened them. I think the factory guys put one long bolt in there and then just left the nut loose, not pulling the bolt through very far. So I tightened it up not thinking of the consequences, and paid the price. Anyhow, I got the bolt cut off. [can you think of what tool a common guy could reach in there with and cut off that bolt?]

Attachments

• IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2786.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 15
Wheel weights look good MM, your JD secret is safe with us. Sorry to hear about your drum woes. I have used my dremel for cutting off stuff like that, it's slow but it's the only thing that can reach into a tight spot like that. Good luck.

Bill, I started out with my little dremel and a small, thin grinding stone, but it was wearing down faster than the bolt end. Finally, the grinding disc broke all up. So I changed to my bigger pencil grinder with a quarter inch burr bit on it and just ate the whole bolt end away.
I wished that I had a little diamond studded rotary saw for my pencil grinder.

Bill, I started out with my little dremel and a small, thin grinding stone, but it was wearing down faster than the bolt end. Finally, the grinding disc broke all up. So I changed to my bigger pencil grinder with a quarter inch burr bit on it and just ate the whole bolt end away.
I wished that I had a little diamond studded rotary saw for my pencil grinder.
That would have been my suggestion. I have some tiny slitting saws (1"x1/16 tool steel) that are usually used on a mill or such, that would work with the right arbor in my die grinder.

Skip, I didn't even know if there was such a thing but that's what I needed. Oh, Dang, TOOL SHOPPING. Tool shopping is in my future.
Anyhow, I got things going my way today. The drum went on nicely after some emery-ing and then the brakes were set in there, adjusted and the linkage mounted. I was also able to clean up, prime and paint the rear wheel hubs.

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 13
OK, 28, thanks for keeping an eye on me. Here's my list of excuses for missing some shop time. Mrs. Mac really, really likes to go camping, so I mowed all the grass and got the motorhome ready to go. We went out to a remote lake about 60 to 70 miles north of us, for a few days, and now I have a happy camper in the family.
Today, I screened a wheelbarrow full of sand and made a weird hook for lifting the wheel weights onto the hubs without scratching the paint. Also I hope I can use this hook to mount the wheels and tires.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 16
Well MM you have your priorities right, happy wife, happy life.[cl

Will the wheel weights bolt on to the hubs or do you have to fab up an adapter?[;)

Here is the wheel weights going on and then on there. They bolted on easily, but the centering bumps don't quite work. They are centered now but will they stay there. If I made a couple of rings out of 3/8" material, 9/16" wide and 11 1/8" OD, I would be laughing all the way to the bank.
I sandblasted the side of the second wheel that you will see and found some weld holes so they are welded up now. There is a lot of welding on that wheel, many patches.

Attachments

• IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 11
Here is a picture of the last [really patched] wheel, sandblasted.
And a picture of the body of the tractor without the paint masking tarp on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back