A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, that turned out really nice... it actually looks like wheel ! [cl
Those wheel weights really show their size in that picture... :eek:

The wheel weights are probably only 2/3rds of the weight of the fluid that they will replace, but they are easier to work with and they are not corrosive. I'm keeping them.
I welded up more pinholes in the really patched up wheel and ground them smooth and then primed the wheel.
And speaking of patching, I had to put an addition onto the drawbar so I cut a chunk out of another drawbar and wee bit off the end of this one and welded them together. It was nice to get back to working with real metal and more heat.

Attachments

• IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2803.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 19
That rim is ready for paint :)

Those wheel weights will be all you will need for your plow days 95% of the time. :D

Getting close ;)

I have been slacking a wee bit and going camping whether I need to or not.
My water pumping system is all wrong on this tractor so I'm changing it. Picture one is the thermostat housing pointing straight out the side when it has to point straight up or slightly forward. I found a housing that points upwards. In the second picture the water pump inlet that points out the wrong side has a new severely curved intake now. It sure looks like a sink P-trap to me.
I've also been working on the drawbar. It had to be trimmed to fit. Here it is fitted, primered, painted, and installed.
So yesterday, when I was getting some used '34" tires and rims from our local tractor wrecker, I helped the manager hunt through the rows of old and new wheels. I finally found a wheel in a wrong row that they didn't know they had because of it's misplacement. It looked like it would work for me, and it didn't need any patches. I wrangled it out of him. Here it is on the trailer with the tires for a 1957 Cockshutt 40 diesel. I fitted it on the tractor and it worked so I started sandblasting it.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2805.jpg
    IMG_2805.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2809.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2811.jpg
    IMG_2811.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 16
MM, Nice find on the used rim & 34" tires. If that chrome tube was painted the engine color the setup would look more factory installed. Nice clean setup. The draw bar looks great and should meet your needs.[cl

Camping is good even when you have projects to finish and your wife is very happy too.;)

Oh yes 28, I will sand the chrome and paint it red, but it stands out in the picture for sure.

grumble, grumble, grumble, I feel like Dr. Frankenstein, allowing the Mrs. to go camping 'once'. I've created a monster, now we're going all the time.

MM - When it is red it will fit in more.

Why did you not go with the new tires your buddy got for you.:confused:

Why the replacement rim? Were you unhappy with one of the repars.:confused:

28, I don't want this tractor to stand out as a hotrod, so it has to be red. That's just the fitting picture.
I am going with my buddies tires, I just haven't got around to mounting them. The patched up wheel named my tractor and still I wasn't happy with it. This newer one is a lot tougher. Those used tires on the trailer are for another tractor altogether; a Cockshutt 40 Deluxe. You guys may have seen a Blackhawk tractor in the late fifties down in the 'States. That is a Cockshutt.

Attachments

• 2009_1003walkfirst0008.jpg
    2009_1003walkfirst0008.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 13
MM Thanks for getting projects in order for this "old Dude".

Nice looking Cockshutt 40. Do you know what size motor is in it?
What about the base HP?

Most of the earlier Cockshutts, [the real Cockshutts, not the Olivers painted red], had 'Buda' motors, but Buda sold out to Allis-Chalmers in the mid fifties somewhere and Allis-Chalmers wouldn't sell their opposition anymore motors. Cockshutt switched to Perkins and Hercules. This one has a Perkins four cylinder diesel motor. I'll look up the numbers on it.

Thanks MM, interesting motor information.[P Thanks for checking on the numbers. Do you know when they switched from gas to diesel :confused:

tractor companies changed hands and partners so much it would make you dizzy. I had an Oliver crawler . It was a warmed over Cletrac. It had a 4 cylinder Hercules diesel and a dozer blade added to it.

Yes Kenny, I've seen a few Cletracs and they are Olivers.
In my reading today 28, I found out that you may have seen the Cockshutt as a Golden Eagle. Anyhow, this one has an L4 Perkins motor at 269.5 ci. It should have 39 PTO horsepower.
I've been sandblasting this last wheel and then welding up a few pinholes. So here it is primed and painted.
I haven't been cutting a wide swath lately, because the temperature is hovering just under 100* F or 36.5 C. I don't do well working out in front of a south-facing shop in this heat.

Attachments

• IMG_2812.jpg
    IMG_2812.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 9
MM- Ya I think the one I saw was A Golden Eagle. Thanks for the numbers.

100 degree in your area is real hot. :eek:

Rim looks real nice, getting close to mounting some rubber & wheel weights?

Latest posts

Back