Paining an aluminum radiator ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
So is there any downside to spraying the front side of my aluminum rad with some flat black? I don't want to see it shining through the grille if I can help it. I wouldn't think it's a problem but maybe someone here has an answer..:confused:

Attachments

• DSC00659.jpg
    DSC00659.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 20
ZZ, I didn't like the aluminum shining through on my 33 so I did exactly what you want with no side effects.
If you don't get carried away, you can spray on a slight down angle and only cover the top of the front fins.

I agree with the guys and paint the whole thing if you like...

One of my best friends (gone some 13 years now) owned a rad shop and painted every radiator whether it be copper/brass or aluminum/plastic. (He felt paint added a layer of protection to bare aluminum as our salt-laden winters tend to reduce their lifespan.) Anyhow, painting aluminum served his customers and business well, 40 below or 40 above.

I wish I could remember what the stuff was called, or what it was based on... lacquer? Enamel? I tried to find the elixir on the 'net to no avail. :mad: (Probably a banned substance today.) All I know for sure, is it was runny as water and the coating was thin!

Last edited:
I agree with the guys and paint the whole thing if you like...

One of my best friends (gone some 13 years now) owned a rad shop and painted every radiator whether it be copper/brass or aluminum/plastic. (He felt paint added a layer of protection to bare aluminum as our salt-laden winters tend to reduce their lifespan.) Anyhow, painting aluminum served his customers and business well, 40 below or 40 above.

I wish I could remember what the stuff was called, or what it was based on... lacquer? Enamel? I tried to find the elixir on the 'net to no avail. :mad: (Probably a banned substance today.) All I know for sure, is it was runny as water and the coating was thin!

Thanks all for the replies, I didn't think a little paint would affect its cooling qualities but it never hurts to ask.
Dr C - I know the paint you mean, our local rad shop always used to spray every rad with it. Sticky stuff that seemed to never dry properly until it got cooked on from being put into use. Nowadays they just use cheapo Dupli Color spray bomb black.

I've always just rubbed it on. Vinegar being slightly acidic will remove any corrosion and slightly etch the surface. An old timer told me that long ago and I've never had problems with paint lifting off aluminum since....

When I was a kid,

When I was a kid, the local rad shop used a really reduced black enamel paint of some kind......it was extremely slow to dry and stuck like glue after heating it up...I used to run them up there from the cab company I worked at....they'd clean, rod and fix them or solder a new core then paint and lay it on cardboard for me to take back...paint still wet..I remember asking him if it was lacquer and he said no.....it was thinned enamel...:D don't even know why I remember that...other than they let me roam around and watch...still remember the smell of the hot tanks they used....funny what you remember....:D

Latest posts

Back