What do you think?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceKoukalaka

I have just saw a '47 Hudson that in my mind is almost too nice to pass up (and chop up). What I'm curious about is what would you offer to the owner? He has left it up to me to make an offer. The interior is toast and the Super Six engine is seized ( probably a solid boat anchor ) however the body looks straight and the glass is good. There are 2 doors that are unable to open presently and the mice have built a very large home in it. If I do make an offer I don't want to sound cheap but I'm also looking at the real cost involved in doing a restoration/retro rod.

Attachments

• IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 39
Unless someone is specifically after that particular car for a restoration it's not a 'popular' car so I'd offer between 500 and a grand. I've seen a lot worse sell for more and a lot better sell for less.
I recently bought a complete 42 Ford for less and sold a running driving 48 Chrysler for a couple of grand.

I tend to agree Bob as I have bought 2 '53 Internationals an R 130 for $500 and an R160 for $300. My wife suggests I not make an offer as we are planning a move down near you anyway. So I'm kinda in limbo until I make a decision on what's going on.

I'd save your money that's burning a hole in your pocket.

Something better will stumble your way when you least expect it. That's how I scored the 32 plymouth.

Coming down towards the big city huh? Keep a safe distance, this city is going nuts...but feel free to swing on by and hang out when you have time.

-M.C

My first offer is always a gallon of milk and a box of cheerios.

The day of the $100.00 car is gone. Depending on scrap prices in your area, around my parts that would bring about $450 to $500 scrap and for some one selling one, asking would be $1,000 to $1,500 average but I have seen $2,500. But it is all about location and I have no clue what cars go for in your area.

The day of the $100.00 car is gone. Depending on scrap prices in your area, around my parts that would bring about $450 to $500 scrap and for some one selling one, asking would be $1,000 to $1,500 average but I have seen $2,500. But it is all about location and I have no clue what cars go for in your area.

People in this Province have absolutely no idea what realistic prices are...asking full retail for used crap at swap meets, asking ten times the value of a car that's barely worth the price of scrap...I wish I was living stateside again sometimes...:rolleyes:

People in this Province have absolutely no idea what realistic prices are...asking full retail for used crap at swap meets, asking ten times the value of a car that's barely worth the price of scrap...I wish I was living stateside again sometimes...:rolleyes:

Not much different here. It seems everything is made of gold anymore.

If I don't like the price of something I don't buy it.
Seems simple enough to me.
Thanks to the reality show garbage like the picker shows some people think their stuff is gold,I avoid them and buy from people who are more realistic and there are still lots of them around,you just have to spend more time finding them.
As for the generalization of 'The people in this province' I actually take offence to,just because you haven't bought right doesn't make us all ignorant of true pricing,my yard and barn full of stuff I've bought 'right' locally is proof.

There are a lot of very good deals to be had out there and not all Albertans or for that matter people in general that are only out to gouge whatever they can get. Unfortunately by the same token a lot of people take to heart the opinions of TV personalities such as; bargain hunters, antique roadshow, and the likes that make people believe they have something of true value when in fact they may just have garbage. To prove a point I recently looked at an ad on Kijiji for an old car that was pretty much used up, the frame was damaged from an accident, interior was ruined, the engine was missing but the owner was proud to say "It's a 57 Ford so it must be worth $6000.00 as is". Just because he believed the hype of some show he'd seen. Just the opposite was true with both my '53 Internationals, the R130 was priced at $500 and it is in decent shape, the R160 I bought for $300 because the owner didn't want to see it crushed. It would have brought in a fairly good amount as scrap metal.

As for the generalization of 'The people in this province' I actually take offence to,just because you haven't bought right doesn't make us all ignorant of true pricing,my yard and barn full of stuff I've bought 'right' locally is proof.

It was more or less a reflection on the comment of specific area pricing. I wasn't taking a shot at you in the least. And for the record, I've never NOT bought right. I don't have piles of money to throw around either. I've only bought what I could afford, could trade for, etc.

I never said you were ignorant, and what you post here is evident that you are not. Surfing kijiji on a daily basis proves to me that there are a lot of people either fishing for a sucker, or just really have no true concept of what something is, or should be worth. Attending the swap meets is proof positive of that as well. Sometimes, we get lucky and get something for the "right" price...most times, not the case...and, I'm not just speaking on my behalf, but every person I know who attends them...

I apologize for offending you, not my intention.

If they are selling it, they need to put the asking price on it. When someone insists that I make an offer I let them know that if I have to put the price on it, it's going to be a low one since I'm there to buy it as cheap as possible.

If you want the car I'd offer $100 over what scrap is going for ($500 range ? ), that way the owner knows you're not trying to buy it for scrap and make chump change like a lot do. jm 2 cents

Unfortunately by the same token a lot of people take to heart the opinions of TV personalities such as; bargain hunters, antique roadshow, and the likes that make people believe they have something of true value when in fact they may just have garbage.

I see it all the time on TV. At least the Gas Monkey guys show when they fail. But then they throw top dollar at something, add $12k to change it up and wonder why they took a $14K loss on it. But then they are getting paid by the producers so it doesn't matter if they win or lose. It just irks me when they say a 50 chevy is worth $20K when I know even in the "Finished" stage it wouldn't bring more than $8-$10K. Then when i try to buy a 50 chevy the owners are like "yup. it is worth $20K. Just like on TV!" Aahhh, no , no it isn't. [S

I know guys who build low budget rods all the time. These are in the 1500-2000 range of ACTUAL cash spent and then resell for big profits. They network parts trading and labor instead of cash. It can be done but its all about who you know. This is also NOT a man building his own rod at home on a limited budget. Big difference.

I made an offer of $400 late last night and just waiting for a response. If I get it fine, if not, no problems either. After all I can wait until the right deal comes along.

I got a response from the owner of the Hudson that made me laugh out loud " The lowest I'll go is $1700.00!" Yup someone's been watching those shows for sure ... I just smiled and said no problem.

I'm pretty sure that'll be where it's headed. Fine I have my trucks, still I just can't wait until I can get them both together though. The R130 looking original and the R160 Rodded[dr[dr[dr

Latest posts

Back