frame swapping my 53 dodge truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin53

Hi new to the forum im looking to swap the frame slant6 and brakes from a 1978 dodge pickup to my 53 dodge pickup. Im trying work with what i have is this hard to do. Is there any other threads that are similar to this. Any advice would help thanks

not sure

not sure,

pics would help,

lots of measuring is a must. l think the 78 frame is a lot wider than the 53 frame, you will have to make new cab mounts and radiator bracket if ya are keeping the fenders, hood and grille.

maybe some else can help with more info.

l used a nova/camaro sub-frame on mine, so even though the theory is the same, it is still going to a lot different in practice.

Later :cool:

The track width is probably gonna be a problem if you are using the fenders. The 50's trucks were narrow - like a Dakota would probably be a good fit. You could also widen the fenders if needed.

How do i widen the fenders or is there a way to shorten the width of the frame. I have never done this im trying to learn as i go

You will have defenite issuses with track width. I believe your 53 is even more narrow than the 58 Dodge PU I am working on. Your best option is a front clip on the original frame, a full early 90's Dakota frame, or I believe FATMAN has weld in crossmembers that use Mustang II suspension.

52 dodge

Just found this site. I am building a 52 dodge for a guy and we used a Dakota frame. Cut the mounts off and use the ones from the 53. Frame is set up for v8 and has all the good stuff on it. Works every time.

OK...Welcome....do an intro Jason......

Just found this site. I am building a 52 dodge for a guy and we used a Dakota frame. Cut the mounts off and use the ones from the 53. Frame is set up for v8 and has all the good stuff on it. Works every time.

Then get us some pics of that build....never know you might have some good info that someone else can use.....:D

Latest posts

Back