1937 Ford Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks gents. One thing I forgot to mention is that the band that is added for stretching the roof was run though the English wheel with about the middle contour wheel. I'm hoping this will give me a little extra crown for when I weld it and the welds shrink and it will be easier to hammer it and I have a little extra material to work with.[;)

are you tig or mig welding the roof panel? Because if you`re gonna mig it, there`s not much to hammer... The welds get hard and may crack and then you need to reweld which will result in a lot of distortion. just my 2ct...

are you tig or mig welding the roof panel? Because if you`re gonna mig it, there`s not much to hammer... The welds get hard and may crack and then you need to reweld which will result in a lot of distortion. just my 2ct...

I agree with dutch( for what it's worth). I do very little hammering with MIG, and if I do it's mostly on the surrounding metal. The welds are very hard, even the "Easy grind" wire I use for body metal welding only.
One of the reason I liked gas welding. More hammering but less grinding.:D
Looking great, kenny.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

The top looks really nice!!! [cl
I know what your talking about with pieces being off just a little :cool: When I did the Sprint I had 13 pieces to get back together and no two lined up at one time. Yours looks great, not a lot of filler to get done.[cl
Good luck with your other issues. :D

Yes O.I. I wouldn't make a very good doctor.. No patience. On the advice of Dutch and Torchie. I gave up on mig welding with steal. I stitched to silicon bronze. No cracking when hammering and much softer. Also working in short steps and straightening as I go.

Yes O.I. I wouldn't make a very good doctor.. No patience. On the advice of Dutch and Torchie. I gave up on mig welding with steal. I stitched to silicon bronze. No cracking when hammering and much softer. Also working in short steps and straightening as I go.
Hmmm.
I'd like to see pics of that as I have no experience with silicone bronze welding.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

Hmmm.
I'd like to see pics of that as I have no experience with silicone bronze welding.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

me neither... but I`m not sure how that would work better over a steel filler rod [S
I may very well be wrong, but I don`t think it will be a very strong bond once the bead is ground down to sheet metal level .
If your choice for this material is based on the fact that it `s soft enough to hammer, you may want to reconsider. If you use tig with or without filler rod, your weld can be hammered. Just make sure you don`t dip the tungsten or it will wreck any tool to stretch the panel.
btw, you can mig it, but finishing welds is limited to grinding them down. Just don`t get tempted to start beating.

Hmmm.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

I'm no expert but from what I have read it will be strong enough and is more malleable. new car makers are using it and have been for quite a while. I got curious about it after finding it where the roof was attached after sanding a car down for paint. It's also good for joining dissimilar metals if needed.

I went out and took a couple of pic. The method I used was to put an aluminum backer under the joint. The bronze won't fuse with it. There is a little flow of filler material under the two pieces. After grinding smooth I bent it and it doesn't break. The roof is coming along, slowly but coming along.

Attachments

• DSC01488.JPG
    DSC01488.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01489.JPG
    DSC01489.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01490.JPG
    DSC01490.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01484.JPG
    DSC01484.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 41
Looks good Kenny.
I was aware that they use it in new cars .
Just never had an occasion to try it my self.
Of course I’m so old I still can remember brazing panel on.🙀
Now of course that’s a mortal sin. Lol
Never had any issues with then as we scrubbed the brazing well with baking soda to nuetralise the acid in the flux.
Keep at it. You’ll get it.
Torchie

Thanks guys. Seems to work quite well. If I could Tig I would. Just no practice with it. The nice part is the flux is the argon gas so no problem with paint.

Good day at the swap meet

Went to a swap meet at Pratt and Whitney field in East Hartford Ct today. This was previously held at Lake Componce. The weather was perfect. I picked up a set of drums, backing plates, shoes, parking brake cables, etc. Mostly complete except for some of the brake adjuster pieces. $20. Also a battery tray that will mount inside of the frame. $10. A few odds and ends.

I was at the show yesterday too. Huge! Perfect day. Picked up lots of consumables like grinding wheels. Prices were good. Much better there. No mud. Jim

Not much to report. Got aggravated with the roof so I took a break. After stripping the paint off the roof I found that the 4 layers of paint was covering up the rot hole where the mouse pee had eaten it away. I spent most of Saturday working on patching up the holes. Today I farted around with the PS window frame. It will take a little bit of time to get it to all line up. [;)[;)

Latest posts

Back