Pros and cons of 440 dodge engine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-R-POPS

''Rusty Mopar Slacker''
I have never used a 440 dodge Engine and would like some opinions.
Thinking of using in my 48 Dodge pick up build.

My only experience is the memories of that damn challengers tail
Lights as it out ran my 70 454 chevelle.

Thanks for any input,
POPS [S [S

[ddd Had the same thing happen to me when I was 18 in my 65 Chevelle.
At 125 he turned his left signal on and went around me, with six people in it too [S
Turned out to be a 60 Dodge ex-hipo car :eek: :D

Been building and running BB Chryslers for 30+ years. Cast crank or forged, 440s can be made to make a ton of HP and torq with realitively low output of cash. A little time spent tuning can even deliver decent mpg (if you can keep your foot out of the 4 bbls [dr). The only minus I can see is nose weight, run alum heads, intake manifold, waterpump housing, etc and it helps a bunch. One of my favorites from my past is the 70 Plymouth Fury ex cop car I had right outa highschool. TNT 440 factory rated at 375 hp (conservative), 323 gears, big brakes, and front and rear swaybars. Great road car.

My biggest gripe against mopar motors is the starter location. .....On the drivers side.

The starter, steering, exhaust, and brakes/pedals are all fighting for the same space.

The earlier the body (narrower) the tighter things get.

5361110659_10d6228591_z.jpg

Thanks to all for the replies.
Hadn't even thought about tha starter location.
I found a motor home that had akitchen fire with
a 440/727? Trans with only 42000 miles on it.
Only $800.00 thought it was a good set up so now
It sits in my wife's front yard!!! She loves it!!!
Does anyone believe that? I didn't think so.

POPS

Only bad thing about motor home engines is they are low on compression ratio. I am a huge Big Block Mopar fan. It's all I ever use. I actually like the 383 the best, they just rev & rev. But any Mopar Big Block is a good choice.

Although compression ratios are typically lower on RV engines, the water jackets are normally larger. Best being the mid-seventies 440 with the butterfly jackets. Can't hardly overheat them. I agree with the 383 thread, because of the shorter stroke they do rev quicker and get very similar horsepower rating. A nice compromise (and still readily available cheap) is the 413. These are sitting in RVs all over the place. It's a hybrid of the 383 and the 440. Basically a 383 bore with a 440 stroke. You will enjoy that.

I like no over heating, reliable, bulletproof,
And plenty of horsepower. And I'm used to poor
Gas mileage so I'll probably be happy.

It just seems wrong not to be a Chevy for the power plant.
Time will tell.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I better get to building this thing.

[;) POPS [S

Use good motor mounts! When tuned and hooking up they like to eat motor mounts! I have seen many safety chained...

Why on earth would you have even considered a shiverlay engine for a 48 Dodge ??:eek::eek:

A bone stock 440, even the MH version, will likely be a scary ride.

Latest posts

Back