A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I finished installing the gas tank. The front bracket had to be changed where it mounted onto the bellhousing as this is a different motor. It's kinda' like building a hotrod, sheesh.

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 19
Yes OI, at 3000 revs it should have 100 hp. but I'm going to run it at 1500 revs. That should give me somewhere around 50 -55 hp. The tractor would have had maybe 35 hp. So, yes a hotrod. :D:D:p:D

MM it sure sounds like a "Hot Rod Tractor". Tank looks nice. When is the first tractor show? Needs some dirt on those new rear skins.[cl[cl

Oh 28, I plan on getting dirt on the tires, but maybe not this year.
Anyhow, I welded up a rip in the hood [pic one] and now I've body hammered it, body filled it and primered it. Oh ya, and sanded it and added high build primer. No pictures of the primer as the camera batteries went too low to take a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 15
Today I sanded the hood, inside and out, and cleaned it up. What I thought was perfect old farm tractor tin, turned out to be just pretty good, so I hammered and dollied a wee bit too. Here it is primed all over. Now I see a few more divots to take out.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 12
It is going to shine, but it is going to get dirty too.
I went to the local tractor wrecker today and found a Cockshutt air cleaner that has a better mounting bracket, so I'm working on it. It is a wee bit rough.

I'm back at the Massey-Harris again.
I think I can't mount the air-cleaner in there until I put the hood on. I can't put the hood on until I put the grille on, and I can't put the grille on until I put the rad in there. I can't put the rad in there until I move it up 2 3/8" and over a wee bit. Sheesh. Here's the rad taken out of it's support frame and then washed and blown out fairly clean.
Here's the grille straightened somewhat and sand blasted.
PS. Whoever thinks old farm tractors have nearly perfect tin and won't need any bodywork is kinda' naïve.

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 14
PS. Whoever thinks old farm tractors have nearly perfect tin and won't need any bodywork is kinda' naïve.

I think anything that came off a farm has a lot of farmer work done to it. A lot of them did what they could with what they had to do with, wasn't always pretty but did the job. My IH and 8N have some creative things done to them....

OI, a baby Hemi in a '34 coupe just snuck into that background.
Bama, This tractor is better than most for 'farm fixes' but there are a few dents. I was just grumbling.
Dutch, what a timely question, as I am just about to answer that.
I took the frame off of the radiator and bored holes 2 3/8" higher in the frame and then counter-sunk them like the lower factory ones were. While I was doing this, primer was drying on the rad. I had ground the righthand side of the shroud opening to get more clearance on that side. Then I mounted the rad back in the frame and then mounted that onto the tractor. The up/down clearance worked out but I have to trim a wee bit more on the right side to get enough clearance for my peace of mind. I then bolted the grille on to see how it fit and to see if the hood would work. When I raised the rad up I raised a tin baffle up also, so it's too high. That was not a surprise.
While looking at the pictures I did notice a problem. The bottom rad outlet rose up 2 3/8" and a hose will not contort to fix that surprise. Hmmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back