`54/`90 shop truck / bike hauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dutch. I don't seem to have real specific pictures of the mount, but if you look at post #294 (in my thread) you can see the 3/16" rubber pad for the two bolt mount on the center bottom of the rad support. Post #302 shows the rad support once mounted. You might be able to bolt the inner fenders on to your cab, then bolt the rad support to the inner fenders and located that 2 bolt mount on the underside of the rad support. I hope this helps a little bit, and again hopefully Joedoh chimes in!

Thanks Bill, I`ll check it out. I don`t have inner fenders, so hood, modified fenders, crap grill are my guidelines to where the rad support has to go. There`s no rad support either... :D

Maybe joedoh will weigh in...

sorry I missed the reply. i dont think the core support will fit down the middle of the fullsize frame/steering box, but it might.

on s10s I build stands for the stock gm isolation bushings and weld them to the core support hoop. the nice thing about this method is you can do all the trimming to the front sheetmetal, and set the height and side/side alignment with the hood as your guide. once you have it perfect, assemble the mount "sandwich" and stick it in through the fenderwell and tack it in.

I shortened the upper mount about 1/2 inch after this one, you can see its just slightly over the edge of the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_8736.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8737.jpg
    IMG_8737.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8746.jpg
    IMG_8746.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 37
I built a rad frame hanging in rubber blocks. Made brackets to bolt the front of the fenders to it. New hood hinges, so that has an actual position to work from.
So, I`m dealing with widened fenders , which were crap even before welding in the 4" panels. The rusty grill was parked into a pole of some kind at one point and had / has some serious damage. It has loads of fatique cracks and many bolt holes are split or gone. Now to make that all fit to an 8"wider body is a challenge to say the least. I made new panels for the front side of the fenders because holes would appear next to the grill after widening. I took the grill apart and try to work top down. I could easily spend 40 hrs on the grill to make it al shiny and new... nah, won`t happen. :p But even slapping it on there so it will kinda fit, takes a bunch of hrs. New grills are pricey here and I would still have to cut it up to make it work, so....

Attachments

• IMGP7022.jpg
    IMGP7022.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP7026.jpg
    IMGP7026.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP7113.jpg
    IMGP7113.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP7536.jpg
    IMGP7536.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP7538.jpg
    IMGP7538.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 42
It seems to me that you could build new grille bars from scratch faster than fixing the old junk. It wouldn't even have to look stock. Just cool.

Looking good Dutch - that must have been a ton of work to widen those fenders. Thanks for the update.

I cant even remember... been lightyears it seems :eek:

It seems to me that you could build new grille bars from scratch faster than fixing the old junk. It wouldn't even have to look stock. Just cool.

Where does it stop when making new panels... Remember it`s not my truck. The whole thing was a pos when I started. He could have bought one done much cheaper. Those grill panels may look simple from a distance but they are not that easy to make. :)

Very nice work sir!!! Love these trucks widened

No other way with a C/K frame... sadly there really is no good place to cut these fenders. [S

Attachments

• IMGP5179 (3).jpg
    IMGP5179 (3).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 28
Looks good dutch 😎
I’m kind of dealing with a few of the same issues.
My core support needs to go exactly where the steering box is in my S10 frame swap.
I’ve got to figure out a way to either modify the stock 49 Dodge support or just make a new one.
It’s a key fixture for sure. It Locates the fenders front to back and determines height.
All of the inner fender panels as well as the air direction panels bolt to the core support too.
I’m watching to see what you end up with.....
Torchie

Looks good dutch 😎
I’m kind of dealing with a few of the same issues.
My core support needs to go exactly where the steering box is in my S10 frame swap.
I’ve got to figure out a way to either modify the stock 49 Dodge support or just make a new one.
It’s a key fixture for sure. It Locates the fenders front to back and determines height.
All of the inner fender panels as well as the air direction panels bolt to the core support too.
I’m watching to see what you end up with.....
Torchie

Putting it all together without inners or core support is challenging to say the least... There`s really no other option than to use the hood for reference and pull a string back to front of the car to locate the middle. Then massaging with fenders and hood to get to the correct height. Ofcourse this is all theory with all cut up , altered and damaged sheetmetal [S[;):D

Putting it all together without inners or core support is challenging to say the least... There`s really no other option than to use the hood for reference and pull a string back to front of the car to locate the middle. Then massaging with fenders and hood to get to the correct height. Ofcourse this is all theory with all cut up , altered and damaged sheetmetal [S[;):D

I agree Dutch.
I put the hood on and used that as my guide along with four gaps. Wheel clearance and the like.
I have a temporary support in there now so that when I lean on stuff nothing moves.
I have no doubt you will get it all looking as it should.
Torchie

Finally working on the last bit of sheet metal. I made the left side inner fender today and the other side is planned for monday. That will be the last and I will call my part done.
To me proportions just don`t look right with this C1500 frame, but that was up to the owner. I hope one day it will be finished and driven. For now, I`m glad to see it leave the shop :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP8316.jpg
    IMGP8316.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP8312.jpg
    IMGP8312.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back