Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my opinion, ZZ, if the draglink is nearly horizontal, the tinie-weinie bumpsteer is very small and easily corrected with the steering wheel. It's only when the draglink is at a big angle that the problems arise.
I've had about 60,000 hrs. driving 'draglink' vehicles, over some rough conditions, with very little fear. And I'm opinionated.
Keep on tinkering, ZZ.

ZZ...your work looks awesome. I worked on my steering components today as well. I may have the same or similar steering box. Mine is the Vega box from Pete & Jakes. Mine also has the 2 lower bolts that go in from the backside.

Do you have any close up pictures of how you made the adapter plate? I will need to fab one as well.

You may have saw in my thread that my input shaft lines right up with my motor mount....ARGG

Thanks!

ZZ...your work looks awesome. I worked on my steering components today as well. I may have the same or similar steering box. Mine is the Vega box from Pete & Jakes. Mine also has the 2 lower bolts that go in from the backside.

Do you have any close up pictures of how you made the adapter plate? I will need to fab one as well.

You may have saw in my thread that my input shaft lines right up with my motor mount....ARGG

Thanks!

No problem Coup. I welded 2 tabs to the frame to bolt the adaptor plate to it, there is a 1/2" spacer welded between the 2 plates, the one bolted to the box came with it, you can also see the spacers between the plate and the box because the mounting points are inset from the body. One of the lower bolts was right behind the spring mount so that's why I went this route. You could also put sleeves through the frame rail and use long bolts like the factory mounting setup. My steering box is from Pete & Jakes too, they call it a Vega box but it is larger than the original Vega box, which is a good thing as they were actually not so durable. Shown is a generic 'Vega' box I also have, you can see it is much smaller, and the output shaft has a smaller spline too, no identifying marks whatsoever so you can guess where it was made.
I haven't gotten to the motor mount issue yet, but if past experience has taught me anything, it is sure to want to be right where the steering shaft will run....:mad:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 102
Thanks ZZ I ended up doing mine today.

I welded the bracket that came with it right t the frame rail. As you may have saw the bugger fell right in the center of my motor mount. I kicked around putting a 1" spacer between the bracket and the frame but decided against it.

I c-notched the motor mount and welded in a cut open piece of 3/16 tubing. Actually the 1.5 tubing ended up not being enough once installed so I had to do it over. Love doing things twice...Arggg

I'm gona post some pics on my build thread...

Thanks for the pictures....appreciate your time.

Got the coil over mounts made, still waiting for them to show up so I made a couple peg legs to stand in for them for now. I also got the Panhard bar mounted, tried to keep it as long as possible to minimize deflection. At ride height it will be near level, kinda similar situation to the drag link geometry...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3486.JPG
    IMG_3486.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 93
If I need to lower the drag link, I can always get a dropped pitman arm, I'd rather not have the steering box hanging lower. Need to wait and see when it gets weight on it.

Hard to tell what kind of angle your on. My Pete and Jakes Instruction Sheet said 1/2' - 1" higher on the pitman arm side.

Put the engine, tranny and OD together and got it placed pretty much where it will end up. Naturally, the drivers side engine mount is right on top of the steering box :mad: Not unexpected, need to put on my thinking cap to create a decent looking work around. The headers are 55-7 Chevy, nobody makes BBC in a Packard headers [S - may need to modify them but I wont know until I get the body home....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3501.JPG
    IMG_3501.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3507.JPG
    IMG_3507.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 69
Looks great ZZ. You do nice work. You knew that dam input shaft was going to fall in the wrong place.... arrrg.

I'm building a bracket / brace for my pan hard...I'm going to post a picture on my thread before I weld it in to make sure I'm ok.

Last edited:
More progress on the frame, center members installed as well as the pedal/booster/master assy. Had to split the front of the 2x3 member on the drivers side to get around the pedal arm. Lots of bolts on the tranny crossmember because it is also a structural member - still need to add an upper bridge above it to tie the center of the frame together.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3509.JPG
    IMG_3509.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Looks great! Good timing on the booster....I've been asking for shots of boosters. I see you have a 2nd set of rails running from your trans bell housing area back to your kick ups.

Do you think I need something more to reinforce my frame in that area? I was going to use a center section and decided what I had wouldn't wok out well. What do you think? My frame is 2x4x3/16

Your frame is well thought out and very sturdy. Shouldn't be any twist in that one.[cl

Thanks Bob, twist is what I don't want, with 600 + HP going up front, I'm trying to keep it in one piece [;):)

Looks great! Good timing on the booster....I've been asking for shots of boosters. I see you have a 2nd set of rails running from your trans bell housing area back to your kick ups.

Do you think I need something more to reinforce my frame in that area? I was going to use a center section and decided what I had wouldn't wok out well. What do you think? My frame is 2x4x3/16

The booster is always a pain it the butt when it comes to fitting frame members around it, but I always try to make some effort to put in some center structure in my frame - more is better theory.... :D

Latest posts

Back