what the radiator?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northtxfink

Just picked up this really odd rad for my bucket I'm building (build thread coming)
What the heck I've never seen one like this. Any ideas? I just thought it looked cool
5I75Gd5F13F83I33Hfc8b4d1618cb1c971036-1.jpg

5I65Na5Hf3Gb3F83J4c8b80735328417716a6.jpg

Double inlets/outlets. It's for a flathead Ford. My guess is '39 - '41 Ford/Merc car.

Welcome to RRR, start that build thread and do an introduction. (It's the polite thing to do).

I'm wondering if it is from some tractor that had a flathead V8 in it. I've never seen one for a car that has two seperated cores like that one.

Don

My 1941 Ford tudor had a radiator just like that one. I ran it with a 351 with only an electric fan and the car and it ran cool all the time.

So what was the deal behind the two cores ? Is that some aftermarket thing or what ?

Don

I'm an expert on nothing, but a good friend owned a radiator shop for 20+ years so I've seen "split cores" before. I suspect it's missing a piece of sheetmetal to hide the void between the halves.

I showed it to an old timer yesterday. He said it was from a 40s ford and it was split for the starter crank to go through.

Ok, that makes perfect sense. I know Fords had crank slots in the grille area up until about 48 for a hand crank to go through, so the radiator would have had to be empty in the center for the crank to go through it.

I always thought the hand throttle knob on early Fords was for warm up, but now that I think about it they were there so you could set the idle speed up and then crank the motor by hand and it would keep running.

Don

Latest posts

Back