mystery steering box!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i got this and it will work on my rod.
but i dont know what it is so i cant get a pitman arm for it.
the shaft is smooth with 10 splines and the cut out for the bolt.
any help is as always greatly appreciated!

IMG_0661_zps8cb0fcb2.jpg

IMG_0660_zpsefaee488.jpg

IMG_0659_zpsee8c6f34.jpg

IMG_0658_zps9d934d1a.jpg

I can pretty much find anything I need on the ole internet...
If you search those years, some pics will come up to verify I have the year right...

If I remember right the 61-9 Lincoln's box is very similar and may share the same pitman arm.

I'm sure you can find a pitman arm that fits that, knowing the spline count, and diameter...
Broncos are still popular, so that may be an option if its the same size...

Ford has a numbering system that gives the year, where it was made, part number and shift it was made on. Started the number system at the start of the 60's.

C is 1960's
3 is 1963
TR is where it's made or cast. (Not sure in this case, would have to look it up)
3550 is the part #
A is the shift it built. A morning, B afternoon, C evening
The DIF I don't know, could just about be anything.

A 1961 steering box may have C0 or C1, depends how far ahead of the production run it was built. Cool thing is, you can get the general vintage of the part by the first two digits of the prefix of just about any Ford part made, wether truck, car, tractor, or agricultural equipment. Worked at a Ford tractor dealership for a few years in the early 70's and learned about this back then. Kind of forgot about it until this post. Don't know what they did for 2000 and on, never thought about it. So much for trivia.

Yes T stands for truck
R stands for.... Hmmm book don't show me R, it shows A= chassis B= body E= engine

Latest posts

Back