oil primer shaft

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
l took a old points distributer and stripped the top of the shaft where all the stuff mounts on and ground 2 flat spots at the top of the shaft. then put a C-clip on the shaft so it won't slip out the bottom.

to use: remove stock distributer & put in the primer one. if you want, put a oil gauge in the back of the block to monitor pressure, then attach a 1/2 inch drill, tighten on the shaft then spin the oil pump to prime the motor. l also turn the crank over by hand to get oil all over in the passages. l turn the pump till oil come out the push rods.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• DSC01560.jpg
    DSC01560.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01565.jpg
    DSC01565.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01570.jpg
    DSC01570.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That works, I used engine assembly lube that is very thick and will not run out, but both are good ideas, having the pressure gauge and something to prime the pump to make sure it actually builds pressure is a great idea!

oops

0H, l forgot to mention remove the gear that engages the cam, thanks for catching that WickedFast1:D

sometimes l type faster than my brain works.:eek:

it works good, l got 5O PSI out this method

Later :cool:

Attachments

• DSC01572.jpg
    DSC01572.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
Yep... I always prime B4 starting a new motor or one that's been sitting around for a while. It's a pain but much better safe than sorry. Definitely cheap insurance!!!

BoB

Took me a while to figure out my buick straight eight turns counter clockwise or am i just slow [S and all you GM guys knew that. [P

I've been using a modified sbf distributor for years to prelube new motors and I have a Summit setup to do other brands. Definitely helps to get lots of oil circulating before fire up, but I have burned up a few drill motors over the years because they get really hot during the process. You can always tell when the pump starts building up pressure because the drill drags down and the sound changes.

I now use a big old 1/2 inch industrial drill and it never even gets warm.

Don

Latest posts

Back