Cutting oil alternatives?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to use lard in a machine shop I worked at too. Not chicken, but does make you want a BLT. On the plus side if you knock it over, it doesn't run everywhere.

Only problem is..

I use bacon grease, it's cheap and smells sooo good when hot....

I'd never get anything done cause I'd always be hungry and running up to the house for something to eat....LOL.... oh wait, I'm not getting anything done now???[S :(

Your going to think Im a loon..............

but I promise this works, I have used it for years on SS onaircraft

BEESWAX!!

Yep it works!

I used cooking LARD. I read an article once on using it for some metals when machining metal. I was stuck with the can of lard and began using it for all mchining and drilling. Works well I dont know if its correct but then again it works. Some times it can smell a little when hot. Now I buy a little plastic can of Lard Crisco in the super market and use it all the time for all.

Lard is a good lubricant for cutting most metals.When I was a trainee engineer in the 80's here in New Zealand we used animal fat to lube drills,thread cutting & threading taps,as a lube when pressing in force fit sleves & bushes,has unlimited uses!The trades today seem to have moved onto other more expensive specalised lubricants nowadays but I still reach for the old faithfull animal fat can regularly cause it's still got its place.Only just yesterday I used it to lube a bronze bush when pressing it into a track roller at work.allways handy stuff to have available & its very reasonably priced

had and old man tellme one time to use a mixture ofvinegar and water. I t made drilling much earier and was saving on tools also. One down side is it will cause bare metal to rust if not cleaned afterwards. I tried it on some big stuff and it sure helped. Just my $.02

I have been using Boelube for years as an alternative to oils. I still use oil for some things like tapping some metals and hole sawing thicker metals.

I love this stuff, it keeps all of my projects, benches and floor from getting covered in oil. If you don't use anything because of the mess this stuff is a great alternative.

It comes in several forms but I use the solid stick the most. It works great on all of the metals I have used it on. I usually put the stick against my drill bit or cutting tool once it gets warm so it melts and I try to put some on the bit after my last hole so it hardens on the end for next time.

You can also center punch your hole locations and rub it on like a crayon. I have used it on jig saw blades to cut thin aluminum and hole saws once they get a little warm.

I have drilled a ton of holes in aluminum sheet and it is very noticeable when I use it, even though aluminum is easy to drill, this stuff makes it easier.

The paste is great for tapping except the chips stick to the tap a bit more than oils. I have used the paste for form tapping tons of holes, just get a bit on your finger and wipe it on the side of the tap. It is also great for drilling because the bit does not need to be warm.

I have used the paste on the bandsaw as a cutting lube, it does not take much, draw your line then make a swipe of the paste right over the line. I have used it to cut aluminum up to 3/4" this with a circular saw, I know that may sound crazy but it works pretty well. I have also used it on my table saw, best to put it on the side that the blade enters on.

I have lubed my home made press brake dies with it, it makes bending noticeably easier. My press brake uses three screw jacks and it cranked by hand so any help I can get pays out.

If you are hole sawing you can swipe it on the hole saw, as the saw heats up more runs down during the cut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 15
Most of the time I use whatever is closest. I've used tapmatic, lps, wd-40, and even pb blaster before. By far the best I have found, especially for hole saws, is animal fat. Gotta make sure you keep it in semi solid form though. Once it turns into liquid it can be a horrible mess.

Have two Ball jars that I drain the last drops into from oil & ATF (one jar each).

II use that for everything from cleaning firearms to cutting.

Tried the Bacon grease…..Got too hungry

Latest posts

Back