flame throwers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzy

how hard and $ is it to install flame throwers on a small block ford with open headers, one per cylinder? i am running 8 custom laser cut pipes with flames cut in the ends

i have heard all you need for flame throwers is a way to cut the ignition (dumping gas out the tailpipe(s)) then install a spark plug toward the end of the pipe with a coil attahed to it with and run power to the coil with a toggle switch

or instead of cuting the ignition you can have a manual choke and slightly choke it

i dont know for sure though i started trying to do this to my f-100 but i only got to the spark glugs in the talpipes so far

you can buy flame thrower kits, so why not contact a kit maker and see what they can do for you, Or just use one header tube on each side and buy a dual kit.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flame...eBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

91012349_L.jpg

Shoot flames out your tailpipe up to 8 feet with just a push of a button! The flames are created using unburnt fuel produced by the control module by momentarily interrupting your vehicle’s ignition system. This introduces unburnt fuel into the exhaust, which is then ignited by the spark unit, producing a 1-8 foot flame from your exhaust.

For offroad use on vehicles without a catalytic converter. Works on 6V or 12V negative or positive ground systems. Includes box, spark plugs, switch, weld bungs, hardware, and detailed instructions with pictures.

Welding is required. Ignition coil not included.

"For offroad use" Seems like a fire hazzard if you light 'em up off road :D

ha its awesome, i did that on my 1990 dakota 4x4, i would do it going down the highway and at the next stop people would be like "THERES FLAMES COMING OUT OF YOUR EXHAUST!!" :confused: and id reply.... "YEA I KNOW!!" then they would look at me all wierd like....[cl

it was very easy to do, you need a coil and spark plug in each pipe, and a momentary push button switch and a relay

the way i did it was using the relay to interrupt the signal going to the engine coil and send it to the coil(S), to fire off the plugs in your exhaust pipe and watch the flames!!
you have to remember that this cuts ignition to your engine so to do the flames you gotta rev your engine up, press the button and press the go pedal to the floor..... and just release the button before the engine stops spinning so you dont have to restart it

I come bearing gifts....

I also apologize ahead of time for my crappy MS Paint skills :eek:

FlamethrowerCircuit.jpg

This is the same circuit used by companies that make these(and what burnin` described), they just come sealed in a fancy black box so you can`t copy them and save yourself $50. I am planning on using this basic setup myself on my car.

To the OP, with this circuit, just up the wire size and fuse/relay/resistor rating when you add more coils. That way, you can run as many flamethrowers as your alternator can handle [cl

-Johnson

EDIT: For whatever reason, this site won`t change the picture. I fixed the text beside the relay. It should read "Must let power go to the coil when switch is off!"

Last edited:
i dont think that drawing will work...... like that you will only get one single spark when the flame thrower button is released, which may not lite the fire.....

you need to intterupt the GROUND signal to the engine coil (being the points) and send that to the flame thrower coil which is powered with ignition power, this will give you the same number of sparks per revolution for the whole engine, to the spark plug(s) in the exhaust.

use the relay to do this, splice into the wire that goes from the dist. to the engine coil.

hook the wire that comes from the dist to the common terminal of the relay

then hook the NC relay terminal to the engine coil

and hook the NO relay terminal to the flame thrower coil ground, in my set up i didnt even use a ballast resistor and worked great

and both the engine and flame thrower coils will be powered constantly with the key in the ON position

and a coil takes a very small amount of power to run, so there would not be an issue with running a whole gammut of coils for multiple pipes

hope this is clear..... ill help as much as i can, because ive gotten a lot of joy from this simple modification, and i just went to pick a part and got the stuff dirt cheap, the only remotely tricky thing is finding a plug wire that goes directly from the coil to a spark plug.[cl
[P[P[P[P

i seen a guy take a gm hei distribitor 8 plugs a wire set and a small dc window motor and he just pulled the choke flipped the switch it bellowed flames like crazy ,its kinda hillbilly but hey some of the funnest things in life are too so just my 2 cents

sounds like it would work....

i seen a guy take a gm hei distribitor 8 plugs a wire set and a small dc window motor and he just pulled the choke flipped the switch it bellowed flames like crazy ,its kinda hillbilly but hey some of the funnest things in life are too so just my 2 cents

Independant from the vehicle's ign....where did he put the motor/dist set up? Were all 8 wires from the dist cap hooked to each header tube? Or did they fire plugs in the tailpipe? Just curious... [S

hillbilly

it was on a mud truck with zoomies up through the hood the hei dist was strapped to the fire wall motor strapped to it had eight plugs screwed in the pipes and the plug wires from this dist went to those plugs it was actually pretty neat you didnt see any of it with the hood on like i said its totally low tech fun

i was building mini muflers for each pipe yesterday. I think i have the winning combo for the crazy loud pipes, now i have to make the other four, but got sick today and the wife forbids me to go out tothe garage tonight, i think that is crap. but i will be out saturday and finish them and start a real hard look at the flame throwers, thanks to all for the help.[;)[;)[;)

i dont think that drawing will work...... like that you will only get one single spark when the flame thrower button is released, which may not lite the fire.....

you need to intterupt the GROUND signal to the engine coil (being the points) and send that to the flame thrower coil which is powered with ignition power, this will give you the same number of sparks per revolution for the whole engine, to the spark plug(s) in the exhaust.

use the relay to do this, splice into the wire that goes from the dist. to the engine coil.

hook the wire that comes from the dist to the common terminal of the relay

then hook the NC relay terminal to the engine coil

and hook the NO relay terminal to the flame thrower coil ground, in my set up i didnt even use a ballast resistor and worked great

and both the engine and flame thrower coils will be powered constantly with the key in the ON position

and a coil takes a very small amount of power to run, so there would not be an issue with running a whole gammut of coils for multiple pipes

hope this is clear..... ill help as much as i can, because ive gotten a lot of joy from this simple modification, and i just went to pick a part and got the stuff dirt cheap, the only remotely tricky thing is finding a plug wire that goes directly from the coil to a spark plug.[cl
[P[P[P[P

That actually makes sense. I see now why my monte`s flamethrowers only worked sometimes. I dissected them(they were a kit), to get the MS paint wiring diagram. Sometime when it isn`t 2AM I will fix the drawing.

Thanks.

this might help a bit. I bought a kit before I found a diagram to DIY. make your own for $10-20 if you already have a couple old coils, plugs and plug wires laying around the shop. just a 5 terminal relay, little bit of wire, a couple coils and wires, 2 plugs and 2 spark plug anti foulers. you can cut off the ends of the foulers and weld them in exhaust pipe. I have 2 coils and plugs running on one relay. I get about 4-5 feet of flames from the end of open headers. my headers end right under my window so yes, I did lose a little hair trying it out the first time and looking out the window.

Attachments

• FlameThrower0001.jpg
    FlameThrower0001.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 128
yup that looks like a great schematic, thats what i was trying to put into words[cl
i put them on my 90 dakota 4x4 that i stuffed a 318 in.... yea worked great and lots of fun, i had single exhaust and my set up would throw down a good solid 8 to 10ft flames, my buddy had busted the glass out of his side window and had it covered with thin plastic wrap and the first time i tried it messed up his plastic side window a "bit" :eek:[cl[P

flames

this might help a bit. I bought a kit before I found a diagram to DIY. make your own for $10-20 if you already have a couple old coils, plugs and plug wires laying around the shop. just a 5 terminal relay, little bit of wire, a couple coils and wires, 2 plugs and 2 spark plug anti foulers. you can cut off the ends of the foulers and weld them in exhaust pipe. I have 2 coils and plugs running on one relay. I get about 4-5 feet of flames from the end of open headers. my headers end right under my window so yes, I did lose a little hair trying it out the first time and looking out the window.

love it. do you have to rev it up an pump the heck outa gas pedal[cl like i do my current kit?

yea you gotta rev it up cuz when you hit the button it cuts the ignition to the engine and this causes raw fuel to exit the exhaust where it burns, and pumping the pedal just adds fuel to the fire...so to speak [cl
the dakota i installed my throwers on was a fuel injected 5.2L magnum... so no it dosnt need to be carburated for this fun to work :D [P[P

Latest posts

Back