flame throwers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the $200 kit and added a manual choke so you hit the button and get the flames lit and then let go of the button and pull the choke and presto flames-a-plenty.......funny thing is that after I installed the flame thrower I only get about 3.5 miles per gallon now....lol

Attachments

• 46 International 002.JPG
    46 International 002.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 72
  • cassies pics of 46 060.jpg
    cassies pics of 46 060.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 70
dont try this at home

I tried to make my own flame thrower with a hei distributor and tried injecting fuel into the pipe with an old hilborn fuel injection nozzle screwed into the pipe about two feet from the end of the pipe and the spark plug about two inches from the end.I did not want the nozzle too far forward on the pipe for fear of explosion.I had an electric fuel pump hooked to the nozzle because I did not want to fowl the plugs in the engine by choking it.It was a high performance 454 big block in a 56 chevy.It would not ignite and the spark looked weak.I think it had too much velocity coming out of the pipes with so much compression to ignite.I wanted to produce a large flame similar to those at the competitions.
I used a long wire and push button to try to ignite it.I did not get near the car.lol.
I have a 327 in it now.Do you think this could work or will it explode.I havnt had the guts to try it yet again.

it prolly didnt ignite cuz there was no oxygen left in the spent exhaust gasses from the engine, if you could see a spark it should lite up.... i am laughing to my self thinking of someone looking down the pipe to see if there is spark.... "ok man ...im in place.... hit the button lets see if there is spark in there.....".kaaa boooom!!!!:eek::mad::confused: [cl[P[P
tee hee, joking
but the fuel injector seems like a good idea to prevent fuel wash in the engine, i dont know what the new diesel trucks are like in the states, but in canada they are required to have a low exhaust temp at the exhaust tip, so there is a series of holes or vents built into the exhaust tip to bring fresh air into the exhaust to cool the spent gasses before they exit..... so with a fuel injector and a series of vents and then a spark plug at the end of the exhaust tip, you would think you would get the correct fuel, air, and ignition to lite up.....[S:D [P[P

I was looking at some "homemade kits online and one I saw has small auxiliary gas tank to feed jets installed in the exhaust to amplify the flamage and he makes different colored flames...

"Dissolving any one of several metal salts in your supplementary gasoline fuel tank can add some intense color to your flames. Add copper chloride for bright green, strontium chloride for scarlet red, sodium chloride (table salt) for a bright yellow, manganese chloride for a pale green flame with white sparks and cobalt chloride for white sparks only."

Read more: Homemade Exhaust Flame | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7270628_homemade-exhaust-flame.html#ixzz1KkZqdM32

You have a good point about the venting (and not looking in the pipe

it prolly didnt ignite cuz there was no oxygen left in the spent exhaust gasses from the engine, if you could see a spark it should lite up.... i am laughing to my self thinking of someone looking down the pipe to see if there is spark.... "ok man ...im in place.... hit the button lets see if there is spark in there.....".kaaa boooom!!!!:eek::mad::confused: [cl[P[P
tee hee, joking
but the fuel injector seems like a good idea to prevent fuel wash in the engine, i dont know what the new diesel trucks are like in the states, but in canada they are required to have a low exhaust temp at the exhaust tip, so there is a series of holes or vents built into the exhaust tip to bring fresh air into the exhaust to cool the spent gasses before they exit..... so with a fuel injector and a series of vents and then a spark plug at the end of the exhaust tip, you would think you would get the correct fuel, air, and ignition to lite up.....[S:D [P[P

It has been several years ago sice I have tried this but I do remrmber thinking of drilling holes in the pipe for air now that you remind me.I still have the distributor in the trunk but i took the fuel pump and injector out.The distributor I cut off and connected it to an old 12 volt motor that used to rotate the lights in a "gumball wrecker light" that was on top of an old wrecker.I had steel braided lines run to each injector and everything to be safe.When I would hit the spark with no gas ( the gas was controlled to the injectors by a nitrous solenoid) even with just exhaust flow the spark seemed weak.I just used two of the 8 terminals to spark plugs tapped into each of the dual exhaust.

I dont have time to read all of the replys. So this may already be covered.

This will only work on a carbed motor.
Use a blower motor or any 12 volt motor to turn a hei dist. Power the dist. and motor off of the same switch. We just use a hose with clamps to tie the two together. We used a dist. cap off a chevvette so that it only had 4 plug wires on it. We ran two plugs per pipe. This is usually mounted in the trunk.

Ok now you have the spark at the tail pipes.

For the engine. Run a naturaly open push style switch on your ignition. This switch is in the on position when out. When you push the switch in it will kill the power. You will also need to run a manual choke on your carb.

To operate. Build some rpms with the motor and dist. and truck turned on. Pull the choke to flood the engine while it is running. When you get some rpms built push the naturally open switch to kill the spark to the engine. ALL of the fuel will be dumped into the exhuast. Only hold the switch for short burst or it will just die and be flooded. Every engine is different on how long it will go without sprak. When you let off the switch it will most likely "bang" when all of the fuel in the exhaust ignites. IF your pipes are rotten or have actually mufflers they are going to fly apart.

Some guys dony use the kill switch but it makes it easier to get them to ignite at times.

I will also warn that the "pops" can mess with pace makers! We did this at Duck tail run on a accident after the flame throwing contest.

Hope this helps

o and the guy who has 8 pipes that is wanting flame throwers.

Its not going to work. Each cylender has to work off of the others to fire. You may get a real small flame but I dont think it would ever fire

21willys..... maby you should read through the other posts.....
it WILL work on a engine with EFI... i did it![ddd:D

and i think it will work on eight pipes, i think it would work on a 1 cylinder engine, with no spark to the engine and with it rotating there should be a perfect 14:1 ratio of fuel to air as metered by the carb exiting the exhaust, more than ready to lite up! :D

i didnt read through all of the replys but i saw a diagram for a diy kit but instead of a regular relay and a momentary switch you could do a turn signal relay and a regular switch so you can get multiple sparks

I Had a 5hp gocart a few years ago i put a straight pipe on it, welded a spark plug on the pipe, got another coil off another motor which i made a bracket for to put at my flywheel and hooked the spare coil wire to my plug on the pipe... blue flame 4 feet back :D I like the gm hei distributor idea...might do it for my ride now :cool: good info here

Latest posts

Back