Old barn find

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nuclear circumciser

smiley_shock.gif

I must've skipped some of the posts, KEYSWITCH got it, its an acetylene generator. Carbide is placed in the large bottom tank and the top is filled with water, as it drips down and reacts acetylene gas is produced. Acetylene is used by many of us today as a fuel in our cutting torches but also was used as a way to create light for lamps.

Attachments

• IMG_20110929_185911.jpg
    IMG_20110929_185911.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20110929_185851.jpg
    IMG_20110929_185851.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20110929_190105.jpg
    IMG_20110929_190105.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20110929_190036.jpg
    IMG_20110929_190036.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 52
Well I'll be giggied.....

Never heard of one but then again, when I was born, we had electricity....TV barely..... but plenty of electricity..... Good job keyswitch......[cl

old stuff is always amazing

thats pretty awesome. I think i had a small torch that looked like a oil can as a kid that I was told was a carbide torch. it was all brass and about the size of a red bull can wish i had a picture of it.

That interesting. I was thinking if you did not know what it was or did not know how to use it. It could hurt you.

I should have gotton that.

When I was a kid we would take a tin can with a lid that pressed on, a coffee can would work. A hole would be punched in the can with a nail, I think near the bottom. Then a small piece of carbide would be dropped in the can and someone would spit on it.
You could see it bubble and sizzle. The cover would quickly be jammed on. After about a minute one kid would crawl up to the can and strike a wooden match and stick the flame by the touch hole. A loud PFFUUMMP sound would occur and the cover would fly in the air. This was our version of a carbide canon.

Shortly after that black powder was invented and firecrackers came on the scene, ending our carbide canon activities.

No one was hurt or killed in the performance of this boyhood fun. However, I do have to ask people nowdays to speak into my good ear.

I had one of little lamps when I was a kid and still may have it some where.LOL Im curious, Is that thing you have a big lamp or did it hook up and supply the lamps or what ever burned the acetylene gas?

543px-Carbide_lamp_lit.jpg

Latest posts

Back