Mystery engine in Nash metropolitan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevyv8-348

Been looking at some little metropolitans for my wife. Came across a pair and one was a parts car for it's rear glass and a few odds and ends. One of them has a unusual engine in it. It's still a 4 cylinder but the wide cast aluminum valve cover also doubles as I guess the intake manifold as the carb (rochester 2jet) is bolted to an adapter that is bolted right on top of it. It pretty much looks like the intake doesn't exist. The engine and trans if it was a swap from something else when I took a close look was like it was a simple bolt in. Even if I buy the pair I won't be using either engine from the cars but I'm really curious as to what this motor is. Does the discription sound familiar to anyone?

What no pic's???

I left my quija board and crystal ball at the house...LOL....seriously, there is somebody here that will probably recognize them by what you've posted......Last metropolitan I saw in person, was at a car show and it had a "non factory" motor.....a 454 full frame and tubbed....wicked sounding...looked a bit odd...LOL..

Look anything like this?

alloy-valve-cover-with-inlet-manifold-abarth-500-126.jpg

Or this? http://www.prewarcar.com/postwarclassic/classifieds/ad63788.html

Not really. The carb would be a 2 barrel opening and the oil fill at the front of the intake manifold/valve cover. The sides of the cover had what appeared to be smaller removable covers for maybe valve adjustments. The spark plugs and distributor were on the drivers side of the motor. I took two crumby pics with my cell phone but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post them. I've been looking at pics of all sorts of older 4 cylinder engines about the same physical size of the metro motor like datsuns, volvos, toyotas, etc. and I still can't find anything that I can really say it looks like this motor.

Thanks Dr. Crankenstein for posting the pics for me. Hopefully in the next week or so me and my wife can get real Internet installed so I can use an actual computer instead of my phone to post stuff.

Got a email from metpitstop and they said it is definnantly not a met motor and they have no clue as to what it is. I'm gonna try and make it by there again today after work and see if I can find any casting marks or anything on it. I know that motor is gonna be toast what ever it is but trying to only get the good met and the few parts like rear window and such off the parts car so I'm not dragging several cars home.

That is definantly it. And like Dr. Crankenstien said what is that car? Never heard of one. Thanks for figuring it out it was driving me nuts not know what it is.

It was a small German car manufactured by Carl Borgward from 1954-1962.

Here's the info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgward_Isabella

800px-Borgward_Isabella_Coup%C3%A9_front_20110611.jpg

That is a sweet looking little car! Kinda VW Ghia looking except better. :cool:

I've probably only seen 2 Borgwards in my lifetime. You might be able to sell that engine to a collector/restorer.

Yeah, what DMW said......might be able to finance a bunch of your project off the motor. ;)

BTW, always loved the little Metro's [cl

BTTFifties12027.jpg

Since no one guessed what it was, here's the hot rodded 1935 Borgward I posted in my 2012 Back to the Fifties thread.
It has a full Miata driveling.

Latest posts

Back