What is this???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes... Basically they detect the headlights of other cars and they dim your headlights automatically so you don't blind oncoming drivers with your brights activated. I think some of them automatically turned on your headlights when it got dark.

This is exactly right for the autronic eye. It dimmed your brights when detecting an oncoming car. The one that turned your headlights on automatically at dusk was a little later though. It debuted on the 1964 Cadillac models and was called "Twilight Sentinel".

I had a 59 Caddy that had the one that automatically dimmed the lights when a car was approaching you and it had a sensitivity knob on the back so you could make it dim when the car was further away. I can remember when a car would be coming at you with all 4 headlights on and not dimming it would almost always be a Caddy because the drivers were depending on that thing to do it for them and they would have the sensitivity set to low.

Don

Yes, on Ebay a man was selling one of those wheels that needs restoration for $ 550 and he said in restored condition they bring $ 2500. Plus, I see the clocks themselves being sold for $ 275 on Ebay.

I felt it might be pricey because I have never seen one like that. Your Olds must be a very heavily optioned car if it has that wheel, and other stuff like the automatic headlight dimmer.

You better put a lock on that steering wheel ! :D

Don

wow! i haven´t seen it yet, but the seller told me that everything in this car is working... so i hope my new baby gets well to germany :)

and i also think that there are not many of them here.

I wonder what the history of that car is? Loaded up like that.

The spinner was (originally?) part of Oldsmobile's Valiant Controls for disabled vets returning from WWII. Ford and GM both gave the various packages out for free. The Olds Hydramatic was part of that too.

http://cdm15017.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15017coll26/id/5191

what´s a spinner?
i got another pic which i don´t know what this should be...

is there a department where i can send my VIN to and ask them for informations about my car for example with which equipment my car was delivered?

Attachments

• 42a1771d.m.jpg
    42a1771d.m.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 19
Sorry, got OT from your car. Someone posted a pic of a Spinner - suicide knob thing. Is that a button or just a light?

Sorry, got OT from your car. Someone posted a pic of a Spinner - suicide knob thing. Is that a button or just a light?

Sorry, what is OT?
ah okay i know what a spinner is think i´m gonna buy one for my olds :)
i don´t know what this is... but i think its a button

ok thanks guys :) i´m very happy with the things i learned so far :)

but what about any departments where i can ask about my car?

There are a lot of 1952 Oldsmobiile owners manuals for sale on Ebay too. These are the books that would have come in the glove compartment when the car was new, showing how everything worked.

Don

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1952+oldsmobile+owners+manual&_sacat=0

i got an owners manual, but its in the car and the car is just on its way to germany (i hope)...
but in the owners manual is everything described what the car has or what it not has, i think. and i want to know with which extras it was ordered in 1952.

Here is a little more info for you. It discusses the two options we see on your car.

Don

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1950-1953-oldsmobile3.htm

as i reed this, my car should be almost fully equipped :)
it has a compass, turn lights, hydramatic, the watch in the steering, autronic eye, radio and full wheel covers (please tell me if i`m wrong). i don`t know whats the difference between a heavy duty air cleaner and a "normal" one... and i don`t know if it gots an oil filter or the power steering...

Attachments

• 45ebdead.m.jpg
    45ebdead.m.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
  • bccfe0e8.m.jpg
    bccfe0e8.m.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 338fe04a.m.jpg
    338fe04a.m.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 946e46d3.m.jpg
    946e46d3.m.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ccaf979a.m.jpg
    ccaf979a.m.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 10
The air cleaner in the picture is commonly called a Batwing aircleaner. Those are very desirable as hot rodders liked the looks of them in a hoodless car. They have recently started reproducing them which dropped the prices, but for a while they were nuts pricewise.

I would think that is considered the heavy duty one and a simple round one would be the standard aircleaner.

Don

Latest posts

Back