Question: Protecting bare metal parts....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I have a project theat will now roll and needs to come off the frame table but will be stored in a shed (read: moisture. not enclosed). Some stuff in my project will just get painted like the floors. Don't care about the color as it will be under carpet or undercoating. But what about say a roll bar? Or better yet the brake rotors? Maybe zinc paint on the rotors and then sand it back off before driving? Thanks In advance.[P

What about that phospate wash they use prior to

I have a project theat will now roll and needs to come off the frame table but will be stored in a shed (read: moisture. not enclosed). Some stuff in my project will just get painted like the floors. Don't care about the color as it will be under carpet or undercoating. But what about say a roll bar? Or better yet the brake rotors? Maybe zinc paint on the rotors and then sand it back off before driving? Thanks In advance.[P

Powder Coating.....would that last any amount of time?? Not sure never tried it to see how long it lasts....Just a thought...

I am thinking it would be a nightmare to paint over DR. Something about the "various waxes" in the description that gives me shivers

You have to clean it off, but you would be wiping anything down before painting anyhow with a cleaner....

Long term storage, its a good method... if thats not your bag, primer alone will allow moisture through it... I imagine a sealer would be necessary...

I bought some rustoleum "rust preventer" by accident one day. It looked like a clear coat but it actually is some sort of light oil with rust inhibitors in it. Meant to spray on bare metal to keep it from rusting.

It cleans off with degreaser/acetone, etc. It does not dry, stays wet so you can wipe it off.

Might be worth a look.

Might be worth a look BI. Thanks.

DR I knew primer absorbs moisture like crazy. The floor pans will be covered by some left over SEM rust shield paint. It will seal the metal and is tough as nails. I was just curious about the rotor surfaces. No calipers on them so I suppose I could just paint them and then sand it back off when I get near finish assembly.

When you buy a new rotor, there is a coating similar to what I linked, that has to be cleaned off... figured if it works for a part in a box for months on end, would work fine...

Rust inhibitor

The guys around here use WD-40 on their bare metal rat rods. It will clean off fairly easily with all the standard degreasers etc. I know they apply it more than one time a year. I have never used it. We always used PPG DP-90 but now that it is lead free I am not sure how well it works and it is expensive. Also POR-15 is a good product. Both can be painted over by just doing a light sanding. Later Steve

Latest posts

Back