Whazzit ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
Saw this little Delivery thingy a couple days ago at the Ghost town yard in Jerome Az. Any ideas what it is ??

Attachments

• DSC01026.jpg
    DSC01026.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 140
looks like a prototype Izetta....1920's style...

Or maybe an early mail truck...or early motorized railroad repair truck...oh heck...I don't know.....:(

I believe I have seen those before and they were used for railroad repair work. They had the same track width as the rails and were lifted onto the rails and then driven along them. I think I saw one like it on that Auction Hunters show where they "found" one in a storage locker and sold it to some guy who collects railroad memorbilia.

That is just a guess though. I found this grainy picture on line, looks similar.

rrcar_zps23d390c5.jpg

Don

There is some oddity there, if you look at the driver's side windshield its smaller in width than the other side... I'm thinking maybe this was the first smart car?

Heh!

Would look cool with it all chopped down, maybe even without a roof..

I'd put one of those 13 HP Harbor Freight motors in it, clean it up a little, and make it a good gas mileage around town driver. I'd love to have that one for running errands and going to work. :D

Don

I've never seen anything like it but I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far away.

A friend of mine has a Motorette which is along those lines. It was used for transport inside large factories and factory yards. The company made a street legal version but it never caught on. I'll get pictures.

Could be something like that.

ride

I believe I have seen those before and they were used for railroad repair work. They had the same track width as the rails and were lifted onto the rails and then driven along them.

T
rrcar_zps23d390c5.jpg

Don

l used to ride around in one of those in my working days. if no roads went where we had to fix the rails, the only way to get to the job site was these.

the one l used was built in the late 40's or early 50's, they updated it with a 2OOOcc pinto motor, that was a fun ride, it was kinda fast.:D

Later :cool:

Sorry I didn't get some better pics, didn't want to catch my nards on the barbwire fence to get closer.:eek:
I think it looks like some sort of mail truck or similar, maybe something associated with the mines in the area. Yes, rubber tired, engine under the open sided bed, probably had roll up tarp sides. I was thinking it could be a Cushman or something like it.
I love these old mine / ghost town collections, always some unique old machines and trucks - here's a late 30's 'Binder and some others on the site, plus a flatfender Jeep resting peacefully in Perkinsville.

Attachments

• DSC01029.jpg
    DSC01029.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01077.jpg
    DSC01077.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I'm thinking that is shop or home built. Those fenders have a familiar look to them, it looks as though the cab was welded to them. The top looks like it might have been part of a school bus? The headlights look like they should have been mounted on a stand or light bar.

Got to be a one of a kind....

Found it! :D

Pak-Age-Car by Stutz, later Diamond T.

In 1932, Stutz Motor Company bought the Pak-Age-Car Company. The Pak-Age-Car van-truck had a four-cylinder Hercules engine that was mounted in the rear of the truck and was mounted to a rear transaxle. This engine/transaxle unit was easily removable on the slide out frame on which it was installed. These trucks were manufactured in the Indianapolis, Indiana factory until 1937 when the Stutz Company filed bankruptcy. The Pak-Age-Car marketing and distribution taken over by the Diamond T Company, which continued to sell the van-trucks until March 1941, when war preparations took over the Connersville plant. There are approx. 10 Pakagecar (both Stutz & Diamond T models) known to be in existence.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• zz what pak-age-car.jpg
    zz what pak-age-car.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 74
  • zz what PakAgeCarWeb.jpg
    zz what PakAgeCarWeb.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 75
  • zz what 1939 diamond  t_a-med.jpg
    zz what 1939 diamond t_a-med.jpg