disc brakes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
I have an aftermarket Mustang 2 front end under a '34 Plymouth. That's where the good news ends. The previous owner didn't put the brake pads in or the caliper bolts; and in that way he could put the wheels back on and they would turn. So, I'm trying to find brake pads to fit and I don't know where to start. What would they be for? Here are some shots of the caliper and the only pad in my inventory that was close and it's too big.
Do you guys know what brakes are usually on a Mustang two front end?

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 27
the pads look like D52 pads from the full size GM disc brakes used from 1969 to around 1996.

that could be a "G" body metric caliper used from 1978 to 1987 on the Malibu and Monte Carlo.

Echoing BlueNorther... looks like metric GM to me. (Rub, rub. [ddd)

If I'm not mistaken, S10's used the same caliper and pads as the G-bodies. I'll check my junk (if you like) and compare...

O.M.G! How will I be able to live with this shocking news. I was naively thinking there would be Ford brakes on a Ford front end. Need I remind you that I'm putting these new brakes under a Plymouth.

Thank You Bluenorther and Dr Crank for your prompt answers.
Dr Crank, you have given me and idea; I should go out and look at my own S-10 and pull a front wheel off. Then go to town with your distasteful news branded in my memory, and order the right parts.
Thank you guys. "We're all in this together", as Red Green would say.

Thank you, Guys. Secretly, I'm kinda relieved to know what I have. This morning I woke up with a win-win solution; I could put the brakes in there like you guys told me to, and then not tell anybody that I have GM. stuff in my mopar. [ddd:D:p
This brings me to another, related topic. We should write down a list of what we put in our hotrods, so the next guy that has to fix something or change brakes, will know what he's working with. Plus, some of us are advancing in age and with that advance comes retreating memory; WE, might be the next guy to work on this hotrod. Keep on tinkering.

I may be a little late to the party with this post but those look just like the calipers i have on my '52 dodge truck. I got them with a disc brake kit for the original solid axle front suspension. The rotors are 11" (NAPA # 4885566, '78-'85 Dodge Diplomat), the calipers are (NAPA # SE4571 and SE4572, '78-'87 Chevy Caprice), and the pads are (NAPA # SS728AM, '78-'87 Chevy Caprice).

As for keeping a list of the parts on my truck, i actually have a MS Excel spreadsheet with most of the parts i have on the truck. I list the part, part number, supplier, and quantity. I don't record the price because i dont want to be able to go back and see how much i spent all together, i may have a heart attack :eek: That way it makes it really easy when i need to look something up and get a replacement.

-Chris

This brings me to another, related topic. We should write down a list of what we put in our hotrods, so the next guy that has to fix something or change brakes, will know what he's working with. Plus, some of us are advancing in age and with that advance comes retreating memory; WE, might be the next guy to work on this hotrod. Keep on tinkering.

I did and it sounds like the Johnny Cash song,"One piece at a time".LOL

Hey Sneakysnake, I'm a serious Johnny Cash fan. Even though he was poking fun at us car builders a bit, I believe we should have a list that looks like that Cadillac song. I'm glad you have a list.
See, 1952 has a list too, good, you're following my advice even before I give it to you. Thank you, -52 for the numbers.
Coffee, only if you really want to!

I forget and now can't find it online. But I know there used to be a book you could buy that was a more or less fill in the blank car builders book. Easy way to record what parts and what work was done. I just keep an old surveyors book in my toolbox to scratch down notes and part #'s.

Latest posts

Back