Delco Remey alternator ID please? No vents or fan?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddredger

Hey guys. My brother in law just gave me this delco alternator for use on a build I am doing now. Looks GM to me but crazy is it does not have a fan or any of the vent holes punched out! Sealed up tight. I cannot seem to dig up any info on it. The sticker says Wilson 90-01-3107 12v 0551.
Searched that online got some info and a few sales places that list it with a picture and it is othing like the photo they show. Mounts nothing matches any of the pictures for that part number. Brother in law bought it to do a bicycle powered generator...[S Don't ask..... :confused: never did the project so it has NO time on it. Still new. The vent holes are on the front side but the castings are not knocked out? Should I pop them out? What about the back? Most i10 or i12 delcos have the 3 holes in the back. I am clueless on this one any ideas what this thing is?
100_0955_zpsttlwkn0m.jpg

100_0956_zpsxibjxoyy.jpg

100_0958_zpsq7qfscqn.jpg

100_0959_zps4cpfmkkn.jpg

How long will it last without cooling vents? Will it survive under the hood on a 350 chevy for daily driving?

Well thanks fellas,
Not sure if I will try to run it or not. Guess I have nothing in it so if it last awhile I am not out. My 27 t will only hit the road once awhile so it may last there forever. And that is open air engine. So rather than putting it under the hood of the 54 wagon I will put it on the 27. Thanks again! Happy hot rodding!

Just buy a case and swap the internals into it. Then you will have a new heavy duty alternator that will run cool.

cool looking alternator, i wouldn't use it. like someone posted change the case and go from there.

Just for the heck of it I checked on the Wilson rebuild site. The P/N is good and shows it's available at some of their warehouse's. What it doesn't mention is what it's for, or where it's used. They do mention O'Reilly as a source of their products. Might find out what it's intended for by going to or calling either place to inquire. Looks to be a special application being enclosed. Either to protect it....or something else from explosion???? Just guessing. It would be interesting to know just what it's for though. :)

I will call oriley and see if they can dig up any info for me and if I get some I will post it here. Thanks again for the input guys!

More than likely it is one designed to create output at a low rpm...such as the bicycle powered generator he wanted to build or in cases of low speed engines such as old farm tractors.

Most guys prefer an alternator set up with a 'low rpm, exiter' and internally regulated for use on antique tractors due to the low rpm's the tractors typically run. (Plus the unspoken advantage of the 'one wire' wiring).

Personally, I'd go ahead and use it because of the low, low purchase price. It will probably be a 50 or 55 amp output, if it is in fact one as described above.

I was looking up some info for my brother in laws boat last night, and I came across a couple of pictures of the same alt used in a boats enclosed engine area. :)

I was going to say boat too. But also grain harvestors (combines we call them) have to run in very dusty conditions that will eat a normal delco in just a few days. But most of them run a brushless alternator.

Latest posts

Back