Transmission

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggrizz

I have a three speed transmission with this # ab-7851-a. I believe it is from 49-50. Not sure. Can anyone help me identify this. It is a side shifter and I'm trying to get a new shifter assembly for it.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 49
Chevy ? if it is I would think it would have to be a 55 or newer.. Im thinking 54 or 53 is the closed drive shaft late 54 might be first year of the open ,, not positive on that ... if its a Ford they were open
of course I have been wrong 8 or 10 times today so ...............???the DR. will be on here soon ,, he is the man with all the answers ,, he is the go to man on here [P.. and I think if you get a standard floor shifter the arms need to be pointed up if they dont hit nothing or it will be backwords ... thats the way my 49 chevy truck was .. I couldnt flip the arms on the trans because they would hit the floor board .

Never thought Chevy. It is an open drive shaft and it bolts right up to my flathead. I have a call into van pelt. Hopefully they can tell. Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

all I can tell you if its like the 49 chevy trans ,, the arms will be upside down from what you need on the modern floor shifter you may could shorten the arms and flip them to point up ??

uy.PNG this was my shift pattern with the shifter arms pointing down

all I can tell you if its like the 49 chevy trans ,, the arms will be upside down from what you need on the modern floor shifter you may could shorten the arms and flip them to point up ??

View attachment 124229 this was my shift pattern with the shifter arms pointing down

Had that same problem when I put a floor shift in an old ChevyII I had. I told people I had enough power that I didn't need 4th gear so I always left it in third. it was kinda true.

The shifters are all about the same. Different mounting brackets for different transmissions, of course. Most decent shifters come with shorter replacement pieces that attach to the trans. Problem solved. If not, Make 'em. You can make new ones from 1/4x1" flat bar, or hammer out and re-drill the originals as needed. I have done it both ways when needed. On one C-6, I welded a piece onto the original shifter arm that poked up to solve the problem. The next time, I just bolted it on and never got around to welding it. Both ways worked like a champ.

Latest posts

Back