Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 12-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

"Ain't nothing about it American but it seems to work as well as the Lokars I have used plus it was a little cheaper. The brackets took some tweaking to get them to mount right and really sorry Chinese mounting bolts.
It came with a cheapo plastic shift knob that will have to be replaced cause you can't tighten it with the jamb nut with out cracking the plastic."

Yea, nothing American about it, as far as that goes not much of anything else vehicle related is.
The plastic knob is a new thing. They used to be the same as the Lokar, aluminum.
I used mine as a pull sideways detent instead of top push button which allowed me to use a real 8 Ball as the knob.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

First of all, Pops, your Jeep looks fantastic. You started off with a very solid body and it shows. My dad always had Jeeps, first a military version that had machine gun ports in the bottom of the windshield, and then he moved up to a Jeep wagon. For my Christmas present when I was 11, he bought me a Jeepster, and when he died my mom sold it because she was afraid I would get hurt driving it around the property.

Secondly, I have an American shifter on my 29 rpu, and it takes a little playing with to get it to work right, but in the end it is ok, and cheaper than a Lokar. But I had a Lokar on my 23 and it worked great right out of the box. I guess you get what you pay for, but we hot rodders can fix things to make them work . I still have a little adjusting to do on mine in the 29 because every once in a while it will not pull down into 2nd and 1st.

Love your Jeep.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:24 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

If you set it up to pull sideways to move it to another gear, the release pawl on the shifter needs a good dose of your favorite lube.
Mine was the same as Don's until I lubed it with bearing grease.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looks like the Mrs is smiling, that's what it's all about!

Great job you two!

Wanna come finish mine for me right quick?

https://www.zazzle.com/2022_fat_fend...46680814180838
Old 12-06-2020, 03:29 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
Looks great! Congratulations on a job very well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltz View Post
Good job, looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerII View Post
Looks awesome, and you two got it done so fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Well done there POPS, and Mrs POPS! That shifter cover looks good. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
I LIKE IT!!!
Thanks to all for the comments and support. There's always a lot of little things to do to really be "finished".

Still beatin on it!!
Old 12-06-2020, 03:38 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Quote:
I used mine as a pull sideways detent instead of top push button which allowed me to use a real 8 Ball as the knob.

I'm just an old fart with a pee brain some times. Help me out here and 'splain how you made a "pull sideways detent" out of a "top push button" !!
You may have to type slowly and use small words for me to understand. Pictures might even help.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:54 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Looks like the Mrs is smiling, that's what it's all about!

Great job you two!

Wanna come finish mine for me right quick?
Thanks Bama. She is happy with the results and that makes it easy on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
First of all, Pops, your Jeep looks fantastic. You started off with a very solid body and it shows. My dad always had Jeeps, first a military version that had machine gun ports in the bottom of the windshield, and then he moved up to a Jeep wagon. For my Christmas present when I was 11, he bought me a Jeepster, and when he died my mom sold it because she was afraid I would get hurt driving it around the property.

Secondly, I have an American shifter on my 29 rpu, and it takes a little playing with to get it to work right, but in the end it is ok, and cheaper than a Lokar. But I had a Lokar on my 23 and it worked great right out of the box. I guess you get what you pay for, but we hot rodders can fix things to make them work . I still have a little adjusting to do on mine in the 29 because every once in a while it will not pull down into 2nd and 1st.

Love your Jeep.
Thanks Don. I did get the shifter working smoothly after I smoothed up some burrs and lubed it good with Garage door roller lube.

This thing is just a driver for her as I don't have the equipment or the know how to do much more than that. It looks pretty good going by at 30 or 40 miles and hour. The body work quality is not great by any means.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:54 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Torchie
Old 12-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Creators of all things awesome

this think turned out killer!!!!

I use genie shifter stuff in my builds. it has side detents so there is no push button. you push it to the side and forward, it then hits the next detents. they work good

Minterfab.com
Old 12-06-2020, 04:51 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Well I hate to admit this but it's the bare as_ truth!

I figured out our fuel gauge sitting on empty yesterday. I was making adjustments to the transmission kick down cable and after three test runs down the road it ran out of gas and died. I called my not silent partner and she brought me 5 gallons of gas. I decided I would go put another 10 gallons in it and the gauge came up to about 1/2.

I thought that the float must have been stuck previously on full.
On the way back to the house the gauge was showing on the low side of 1/2 .
How could that be when I put 15 gallons of gas in it total He asked. So I turned around and filled it up completely and the gauge read empty.

After checking the receipt from Summit the gauge wasn't the part number I ordered. I ordered one with the ohm range of 73-empty to 10-full to work with the new stock fuel sending unit and they sent me a gauge with a ohm range of 0-empty to 90-full. I didn't even look at the part #s.

Now I have to take the gauge cluster back out which is no easy task with the heat/ac unit mounted. Plus they won't take this gauge back after I "made it fit the cluster by a slight modification".

My bride said she can remember E is for Full and F is for Empty but that's just plain nuts after spending this much money on this project. I will reorder another gauge tomorrow. I will most likely check the part # before I install it

IT'S ALL CLEAR AS MUD IN MY MIND NOW!!!

A couple of pics she took going down the road to the gas station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2594.jpg (39.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2595.jpg (45.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2596.jpg (49.2 KB, 4 views)