Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I can't believe anyone would tell you that that thing was a waste. It's beautiful, but like you said to each their own. I wouldn't trust a guy who drives a Prius. So his opinion doesn't count.

Thankfully there is more good people in this world to make up for the wierdos!

Is there no weather stripping in them Jeeps? [S

Not yet on this one.
But it drives fine with out it!![ddd So it's pretty far down on the to do list.

I'm having trouble finding the right product to use.
The stuff I got from a Willys specialty? house is too thick and won't let the doors latch even after adjusting the striker plate out as far as possible.

Any suggestions?

I like the spongy kind. However, the trunk seal on my Cuda took about a month of baking in the sun and adjusting bit by bit to seat correctly.

A guy at the gas station told me that I had ruined a "Perfectly Good" Willys! Kinda rubbed me the wrong way so I told him it was actually 2 or 3 Willys that were "Ruined" in the process of building this thing. [ddd
To each his own.

Then a jack a$$ at NAPA started telling me what I should have done different and I lost it and told him to get his sorry A$$ back in his Prius [he really was in a Prius [cl] and let me know when he builds any thing from the ground up and I'd be glad to critique it for him.

Two haters in one day!![S:eek:[S
I don't get it.

99% of comments are good and I do appreciate them I am always glad to talk to people and answer the multitude of questions.

I get the "ruined" and "you should have" comments too. Most of the time they don't bother asking what you starting with or why you did something, but just inject their opinion. Now I usually just tell them "you can build yours that way."

Pops, what I use and like is what's called D seal.

61AvLYXr18L._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Mom Pops. Sounds like my Mom, when she makes up her mind, there’s no changing it.

As to the a holes that only criticize, I usually ignore them. I sometimes tell them, Well, if you want to buy me _________, I’ll do it differently.

I dig it. To me, the short bed looks better than the long Gladiator bed. Only thing I would have done differently was to put doors on both sides, but that’s no big deal. I know what it took you to do one, so I understand why you didn’t.

Get it tagged and legal and enjoy it!

The 99% are right, the 1% that have negative things to say are haters or just out and out rude baztards.
We build our rides to make us happy and your Willy's gives me a happy smile ever time I see it.

Thanks. I'm all smiles every time I drive it.:) Even if it's not registered legally for the streets.

First attempt at title transfer and registration was a bust::mad:
I gathered up all the required paper work listed on the website for DMV and off I went.
I was told by the nice lady at DMV that New Mexico requires a VIN inspection when transferring an out of state title. No problem right?
Went down the road to the Los Lunas Police Department and it all went south from there.
They have 1 offficer that does VIN inspections, once a month by appointment only and there's a waiting list.
I fill out the paper work and ask how long to expect before I'm called. She says the end of July or the beginning of August!!

So after searching for some place else to get a VIN inspection I got an appointment with the NM State Police office in Socorro. About 50 miles south of our place.

It seems a different kind of challenge when you transfer an out of state title into New Mexico.
A VIN "inspection" is just a confirmation that the S/N plate matches the numbers on the title.
The state of New Mexico requires a NCIC VIN "check" by a law enforement agency to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen.

The Montana title has an "assigned" 12 digit VIN on it not the original 6-7 digit number. Probably done when the wagon body was modified and registered as a truck.
So isn't that an "altered" S/N?

Then they say the serial number needs to be in 2 locations [s/n data plate and frame stamped]

I modified and changed the frame on my project.
So can I legally take the number that's on the title and S/N data plate and stamp it on my "altered" frame????
Isn't that what a "Chop Shop" does???
Am I running a "Chop Shop"???
Am I going to get fined or go to Jail??? :eek::mad:o_O

I should have gone to the MVD in Montana while I was up there and tranfered the title to my name like I did in Oklahoma when I bought my '47 Dodge project. Then it's simple in New Mexico.

OFF TO THE SOCORRO STATE POLICE OFFICE

I was told I would have to haul my project to get the VIN check done and warned if the NCIC check came back as stolen that it would be seized.:eek:[S:mad:
Gotta love the hoops you have to jump thru to get legal!!!

The good news - VIN check completed by New Mexico State Police and it's not stolen!..

The bad news - They have to mail it the DMV in Los Lunas.

The big question - Will DMV be able to find it after I have to make another appointment next week??

I can foresee getting stopped for no license plate cause I will be driving with out one for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_5743 (2).jpg
    IMG_5743 (2).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5744.jpg
    IMG_5744.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 17
Sorry to hear about your Mom Pops. Sounds like my Mom, when she makes up her mind, there’s no changing it.

As to the a holes that only criticize, I usually ignore them. I sometimes tell them, Well, if you want to buy me _________, I’ll do it differently.

I dig it. To me, the short bed looks better than the long Gladiator bed. Only thing I would have done differently was to put doors on both sides, but that’s no big deal. I know what it took you to do one, so I understand why you didn’t.

Get it tagged and legal and enjoy it!

Thank you Bama.
Life ain't easy some times. One day at a time is all we can do.

I was planning to put doors on both side but I got lazy plain and simple.

Getting legal has turned in to a marathon in jumping thru hoops But I'm gaining on it!

Her in Missouri, any inspection station can do an idod inspection for an out of state title. It doesn't have to be a State patrol officer.
What's funny is with an idod inspection our DMV will go ahead and license the vehicle whether it runs or not. With proof of insurance is all it takes, they don't know the difference on the inspections.:rolleyes:
Proof it's all about the money [ddd

Her in Missouri, any inspection station can do an idod inspection for an out of state title. It doesn't have to be a State patrol officer.
What's funny is with an idod inspection our DMV will go ahead and license the vehicle whether it runs or not. With proof of insurance is all it takes, they don't know the difference on the inspections.:rolleyes:
Proof it's all about the money [ddd

THAT'S FOR SURE!
I think they take great pleasure in making it as difficult as possible.[S

Latest posts

Back