CPP Brake Kit Install 62 Bel Air

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

I tried to start installing my CPP Original Offset front disc brake kit on my 62 today. It keeps the wheels in the stock position, unlike many of the front disc conversions on the market. It's nice when you have aftermarket parts that install flawlessly. Unfortunately, that didn't happen today.

The hardware and instructions I have for the caliper brackets are clearly for the wrong kit (bolts too long, wrong bolts, etc.), I have spacers that make no sense, I'm missing some parts, and I'm not even sure the caliper brackets are the correct ones. It's a shame, because the rest of the parts are really nice and straightforward.

Fingers crossed that either CPP or Summit can help me figure this out and get me the right parts quickly, as now the car is without front brakes in the garage. I'm assuming the backorders and delays that CPP has right now resulted in the wrong parts ending up in my kit. More to follow...

This applies to this post too.
There is some dodgy stuff out there.
A lot of the parts I order nowadays have to be reworked in some form or the other.
No pride in the workers anymore.
We installed a rear disc brake conversion from Speedway on a 50 Buick the other day.
The parts looked good, brackets bolted on but, the caliper and pads were at least a 1/4 of an inch above the rotors so there's going to be around 20% loss of pad to rotor clamp.
Very disappointed

This applies to this post too.
There is some dodgy stuff out there.
A lot of the parts I order nowadays have to be reworked in some form or the other.
No pride in the workers anymore.
We installed a rear disc brake conversion from Speedway on a 50 Buick the other day.
The parts looked good, brackets bolted on but, the caliper and pads were at least a 1/4 of an inch above the rotors so there's going to be around 20% loss of pad to rotor clamp.
Very disappointed

That's really frustrating. Yeah, in this case my parts that are right look great. Nice billet hubs with steel races, rotors and calipers look great, but I just wish everything was the right parts the first time.

Well, I finally got CPP to agree that someone put the wrong bracket kit in the box. They're going to send me the correct ones. Unfortunately, as soon as I got an email confirmation I got an email telling me they're backordered, with no estimated date of when they'll show. Maybe they'll ship in 7-10 days, maybe "a few weeks".

Summit Racing did say that they would have to get CPP to send them to them first, but instead CPP is sending it to me directly so that will save some time.

Fingers crossed that I can continue the install at the end of the month.

I hate it when companies take your money and then tell you they can`t deliver :mad:

Oh definitely.

What I found disappointing in this process is how they're not apologetic at all for their mistake. They're fixing it, sure, but they haven't expressed anything like "sorry that happened, we'll see what we can do to correct it." They started by immediately blaming Summit Racing, one of their dealers...

I think that says a lot about the company dynamics and internal dialogue.

Last edited:
Oh definitely.

What I found disappointing in this process is how they're not apologetic at all for their mistake. They're fixing it, sure, but they haven't expressed anything like "sorry that happened, we'll see what we can do to correct it." They started by blaming Summit Racing...

I think that says a lot about the company dynamics and internal dialogue.

I think it says even more about the world we live in these days.

That sucks. I have used them a hand full of times. Might re think that next time!!

That sucks. I have used them a hand full of times. Might re think that next time!!

If I get the right parts soon as they seem to claim I will, I'll probably try them again. They have some good stuff but I'm annoyed that this was my first experience with them. Some people have had months-long fights with CPP to get the right stuff, so hopefully it can be wrapped up quickly and I don't experience that.

Well to update this, I got my parts May 10, they placed the replacement order April 11. So the timeline goes that I started the install April 2 and may get to complete it tonight.

Unfortunately when I went to install the parts, they sent me the wrong dust caps. Have they never sold this kit before? I emailed CPP customer service and in the mean time looked for measurements of common GM caps. Eventually I remembered I had some kicking around, tried them and they were the right size. So I then knew the application they were originally for and got some nice new ones. Then CPP emailed me back with their part number (which doesn't cross-reference to anything useful) and told me they could be bought at any parts store. I guess they don't care too much that they sent me the wrong parts twice or to help me find the right ones (he wouldn't even tell me application, and the hubs were already on the car).

CPP products seem good, but the instructions suck and good luck if you need customer service.

Customer no service seems to be the norm lately.

I was recently surprised though, we bought a ceiling fan at Lowes, put it up, then two weeks later the grandson broke one of the blades off. A call to the CS number on the instructions , actually got a live person, knew exactly what I needed. Got it about a week later via fedex.

Tried to bleed my brakes last night. The rear inlet to the proportioning valve was threaded/drilled off center, and won't tighten without leaks...

I'm getting so tired of this simple job having so many problems with wrong/poorly manufactured/missing parts.

Moved it out of the garage on Sunday! It stops now, but I'm still having some brake issues my dad is going to help me with tomorrow.

Attachments

• PXL_20220627_030030945.jpg
    PXL_20220627_030030945.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20220627_030040521.jpg
    PXL_20220627_030040521.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 5
I quit using CPP because of their horrible to nonexistent customer service. I think they got bought out & have been useless, to me at least, every since. I switched to Speedway, their stuff has worked for me & they have decent customer service!

BoB

I quit using CPP because of their horrible to nonexistent customer service. I think they got bought out & have been useless, to me at least, every since. I switched to Speedway, their stuff has worked for me & they have decent customer service!

BoB

The only reason I didn't go with anyone else is that they are the only ones with the kit for this car that doesn't move the wheels out significantly. Now I know better than to go with them again. Their customer service is terrible.

Latest posts

Back