Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 10-30-2021, 04:45 PM
The Rat Captain

Thumbs up

[[]]
Old 10-30-2021, 05:04 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

New work looks much better.
Looks like you found the right body person.

Torchie
Old 10-31-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
I'm curious about the windshield.
Did you buy it, did you make it if so, what was it from or did you make it from scratch?????
The windshield is from a 1949 International truck. Originally it ad a crank on the inside of the cab to open the bottom of the frame to allow air into the cab.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:37 AM

Default Goldcar story cont.

Sprayed in etch primer to prevent rust and starting to re work the fenders by repositioning and widening the rear fenders to cover the entire rear tires.

Ethan, my grandsons came with me to check on our progress! One day heíll be looking for the keys!

I can remember drilling and installing each screw to hold the fenders in place. Grampa believed if 10:would hold it 30:would be better. The part you donít see is the 1 1/4x1/4Ē strap iron braces underneath welded to the fender and bolted to the frame. Hahaha!
Old 10-31-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
New work looks much better.
Looks like you found the right body person.

Torchie
Yes, I definitely did find the right guy! This becomes even more evident as we get further into the rebuild. New tools, techniques and Ronís experience are allowing us to make serious refinements to the car. As I mentioned in the beginning Ron and I had no idea the road we were about to embark down.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:35 PM

Sprayed in etch primer to prevent rust and starting to re work the fenders by repositioning and widening the rear fenders to cover the entire rear tires.

Rule number seven...Ron reserves the right to change something!

Iím pleased he does share his detailed tips to improve the look and functionality of the carís appearance and durability. This week we discussed correcting the alignment of the hood locks. The problem is the alignment of the grill bars where it needs to be bolted. So I challenged Ron to find an alternative method for locking the hood. One move them to the side since we will be adding the loovered panels on each side of the hood. The other add a leather strap similar to the European look. I chose side mounting. Weíre plugging the grill holes with stainless plugs should be almost unnoticeable. Weíre reshaping/fitting the hood to make a cleaner look and better fit. Ron is a metal artist. He uses as little filler as possible.
We set the 4Ē blocks raising the rear axel housing. We think itís a little too much and not enough clearance. Iíll update the final decision later along with remounting and widening the rear fenders. The curved angle piece in the pic we made using the shrinker and stretcher. We plan to attach to the inner fender as part of the mounting system for the rebuilt fenders. líll have more details and pics as we get deeper into the build.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:28 AM

August 20, 2020

We removed the hood and brought it home to strip then back to the sand blaster and primer. Back at the shop we sprayed an etch primer to treat for rust prevention and better adhesion later. Trimmed the inside hood edge to clean up the edges and my first project at mig welding. Good thing it will be hidden. Acceptable for my first project and most importantly, stop any vibration.

August 28, 2020

Getting ready to remove the old material on the left front fender. Decided to remove the right front as well, which will require some fabrication since it is hard welded to the frame. No problem for Ron, he wanted a better design and to take out some of the bulky look.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:41 PM

Completed the removal of old paint and material from both front fenders. Decided to re make the extensions for all fenders in addition to widening the rear fender width for coverage of the rear tires. Remaking the new front fender extensions will allow better mounting and a place to attach side panels to cover the engine and relocate fasteners for the hood as we move forward. (Pics to come as we get there.)

Working on hood to prepare for primer. The master at work on the hood doing some metal work and showing me what and how he wants the body filler applied and sanded.

Things are moving slower than planned as we continue with rule number 7 Ron reserves the right to change his mind! Originally planned to be getting close to finished. However, we are still a long way away from a final product with new ideas and additions being made as we go. We did do a mock fitting of the windshield and I believe we can move forward as is with just a slight adjustment to the passenger side. I just happen to see this 1946 Buick. The hood on this car is what we made our hood from. I thought it would be a good comparison from its original design.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:21 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Torchie
Old 11-13-2021, 07:04 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder