Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 11-13-2021, 07:10 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Really cool story on the car and the rebuild.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:30 AM

Default Goldcar story cont.

Finished roughing in the windshield and fitting the left front fender with a newly designed fender extension which we plan to mount the soon to be added engine side panels with louvers cut.

9/15/20
Replacing the sheet metal and mounting of the fenders. Decided on a little different design, mounting and look for the front fenders. The middle pic is of our custom made bracket to mount fender extensions and attach side engine panels. Pretty cool tool to bend this w/o notching for the bend. I’m liking the newer lines with the bead rolled in near the edge for a little more strength as well. New sheet metal for the rear fenders, in addition, coming soon, to widen the rear fenders to match the width of the tires.

Week of 9/21/20...
Cutting out and welding in patches to eliminate the need for excess body plastic. Also, replacing sheet metal along the driver side just behind the old removable panel along the bottom edge due to rust forming. Applying first coat of body plastic on newly replaced /patched sheet metal on driver side.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:05 PM

After a quick review of the work involved, we decided to replace the entire panel on passenger side. Starting with the narrowest side cut by the seat all the way to the front. Everything painted black and the unpainted area of that panel will all be replaced.

10/2/2020

Off to get another sheet of metal to build the replacement panel. Replacing from low point of cockpit forward instead of trying to patch our old stick welding job. Made the decision to bolt all fenders on so a new look when completed. Expect to have fenders mounted in a couple weeks.

10/06/20
Completed the fabrication on the new running board braces and started making the new fender mount brackets. Yesterday was a lot of work for not much gain. We’re installing rivnuts in bottom of frame rail to better secure the sheet metal so it won’t be as susceptible to cracking the finish. Started the installation but ran into a problem at every turn. There just wasn’t enough room to install the nuts with the rear end in place. We didn’t want to disable it yet so moved to the side in front of rear wheel. We quickly discovered there wasn’t a wide enough piece of sheet metal to use the rivnuts. So dead in the water on finishing the body work until we resolve the problems. Solutions are to weld a strip extension to the existing bottom metal and attach further in with room for the new nut system. Just happen to remember Ron has an attachment on his port a power that will be able to install the rivnuts without removing the rear end. Just one of many challenges we face almost daily. In case I haven’t mentioned this, Ron is the perfect person to restore the Goldcar. His attention to detail and craftsmanship is a dream come true!

October 26, 2020

We finally made our way to the passenger side of the car. Below are some before, during and in progress pics. Also, began mounting the driver rear fender. I expect next week I’ll split the fender in half with a patch in the middle to cover the complete rear tire.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:15 PM

More pics of the new runnng board fabrication.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:05 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I like the way you used the bar clamp. Just letting you know, I'm stealing that one.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:30 PM

Ordered the fender welt gasket material yesterday. It will provide a nice clean seal between the body and the fender for a nice finished look.
Thursday (5th) I’ve been given the task of removing the dash. From here on in there’s no place to go but head for the finish line as this will render the car dead until finished!

11/9/20

Dash is back from the sand blasting shop.
Cleaned out the old wiring and modernizing the back side of the dash. When finished well have a new aluminum service door over the brake pedal mounting for easy access for future service since we have made the original access panel on driver side to access the original clutch and brake pedal.

We decided to install a new wiring harness with a fuse block. Originally, we direct wired everything and the only fuses were for the radio and a circuit breaker for the lights. Needless to say Ron was delighted with this decision to make it look like adults did the wiring instead of a 15 year old kid! Hahaha!
Old 11-22-2021, 09:03 PM

Working on building a surround around the speedometer bezel. Originally, we cut out enough material to get the bezel to slide in place. So the back was open if you looked very close. With Ron’s experience and guidance we built a surround to cover the back side giving it a “meant to be there” look. Welded up the idiot light holes and a couple of other holes in the dash I no longer needed.

The car has been at the upholstery shop the last 5 weeks…only 3 weeks behind schedule but who’s counting! So we decided to finish the dash. So a little peak into the final look. Refinished the trim rings that go in each end of the dash and also where I mount my stereo speakers. We plan to make new grills from stainless steel wire mesh.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:02 PM
Builder Junky!

I sure like that red on the dash.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:17 PM

While we’re on the dash, here is some of the work we did on the back side this past June. Earlier I showed pictures of the templates for the backside cover. The end caps are not quite finished but built. We plan to paint them same color as the car.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:42 PM

Picked up some 1 1/4 stainless steel tubing to make new running boards this week and worked on placement and mounting of new steering column.

1/20/21
Finished widening and mounting the passenger rear fender.

Straightening, aligning in and redesigning the trunk lid in addition to the widening of the passenger side fender. This redesign of the deck lid changed in mid stream and Ron decided the metal was not cooperating so he replaced he entire section. In hindsight we should have done that to begin with. Not to mention, Ron got to put the new English Wheel to good use!

I’ll post some more pics soon. The finished product is what hot rod dreams are made of!