Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the interior floors 2nd coat of bed liner on today.
I hope I don't regret this. [S[S

I'm trying to avoid the wet muddy carpet that goes with using this thing in the woods and wetlands while hunting and fishing.
Hoping to be able to just hose it out and let it dry.

Attachments

• IMG-5046.jpg
    IMG-5046.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-5050.jpg
    IMG-5050.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-5048.jpg
    IMG-5048.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 18
If you had gotten clear, ya could have mixed your paint into it and color matched the bed liner to the vehicle color.
Unless the black is the color you wanted. jmho

The older jeeps had drain holes in the floor which was not a bad idea. Made doing what you're talking about loads better. Could just hose the floors out.

When I made my '36, I put a new box floor kit in it. After the first wash at the carwash, I came home and bored holes in my new floor boards to drain out the soapy water. I know what you guys are talking about.

My old mini had rubber plugs in the drain holes. Water poored in through several vent holes when it rained and froze during the night. 3" of ice under the pedals in the morning. Too slippery to drive and the go pedal was frozen solid to the floor... drain holes without plugs rule... :D

Looking great POPS.
All my trucks always came with full rubber flooring so I could do exactly what you are. Until I couldn’t get them that way any more.
Open both doors and use a hose.
Torchie

The older jeeps had drain holes in the floor which was not a bad idea. Made doing what you're talking about loads better. Could just hose the floors out.

When I made my '36, I put a new box floor kit in it. After the first wash at the carwash, I came home and bored holes in my new floor boards to drain out the soapy water. I know what you guys are talking about.

My old mini had rubber plugs in the drain holes. Water poored in through several vent holes when it rained and froze during the night. 3" of ice under the pedals in the morning. Too slippery to drive and the go pedal was frozen solid to the floor... drain holes without plugs rule... :D

That standing water is a death sentence for floors for sure. Even in our dry climate.

Looking great POPS.
All my trucks always came with full rubber flooring so I could do exactly what you are. Until I couldn’t get them that way any more.
Open both doors and use a hose.
Torchie

Thank you Torchie.
Great minds do tend to think alike.

Last edited:
More progress.

Got the gauges in, the power ports in, got the ash tray in.
I need to install the ignition switch and the light switch [if I can find it!]
the turn indicator lights, high beam light and on and on.

Wiring is in the near future.

Then I went a got some thing else to think about. I'm still not sure I want to build this CJ5.
I've had my left knee replaced and don't have the range of motion to drive any thing with a clutch.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a CJ7 with a little more room and an automatic.
And yes we do have rust in New Mexico.
It's got 5 shifter levers tho. That's kool
Time will tell on this one.

Attachments

• IMG-5058.jpg
    IMG-5058.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-5059.jpg
    IMG-5059.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-5062.jpg
    IMG-5062.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-5064.jpg
    IMG-5064.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-5067.jpg
    IMG-5067.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-5071-1.jpg
    IMG-5071-1.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 30
Gear, high low, transfer case, pto are all I know, what's the 5 the lever for, a second pto?

It has a twin stick transfer case in it. One for front axle and one for rear axle. It would be a real issue if the lock out detents don't work right and you get one axle in hi and the other in low!!![S[S:eek::eek:

I'm really liking that cj5.

It would be a fun little toy. I may do the tub repairs, get it running and send it down the road.

Or I could sell the O/D box out of it for twice what I've got in it a make a planter out of it. Probably the smart way to go. [S

Or you could just come and get it and call it yours.:cool:[ddd:D

It has a twin stick transfer case in it. One for front axle and one for rear axle. It would be a real issue if the lock out detents don't work right and you get one axle in hi and the other in low!!![S[S:eek::eek:

My CJ5 had a twin stick transfer case, one stick was high-low, the other was 2wd-4wd. You could actually use low in 2wd and 4wd, but I think the detents on mine were worn off causing that. Since you said it had OD, maybe that is what the 5th stick is for?

Still wiring....

Moving right along on the wiring. I got the in cab partly done. Still lack the wipers, the heat/ac, radio, interior dome lights and brake light switch. All of which are yet to be installed.

I'm having a hard time spending much time on this project this time of the year. I try to get a little done ever day. My biggest issue is I don't want to quit in the middle of a task or I might forget where I was. Must be gettin old or some thing.

Some days I go out there and light the propane heater and just sit In front of it trying t figure out what to do. Then I get up, turn the heater off and go back to house and make another pot of coffee.

May be tomorrow seems to be a common plan for me lately.

Attachments

• IMG-5107.jpg
    IMG-5107.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-5099.jpg
    IMG-5099.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-5110.jpg
    IMG-5110.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-5112.jpg
    IMG-5112.jpg