Transmission options

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldboy

Hey there,
I recently change the rear Differential gearing. Was at 3:01. now is a 3:50.
Still working on properly breaking in the differential. it sure seems like its going to be a lot more fun off the line. Of course now at 65 miles an hour the motors buzzing along at like 3000 rpm. I was expecting this of course. Cars got a turbo hydra-matic 400.
now I'm starting to think an overdrive might be nice. the motors good for about 400 hp. what would be a good manual transmission to put behind this motor?
Just kicking around got no money right now. Maybe a salvage yard trans.Thanks. Russ

I would look for a T5 from a junkyard. They have world class that support a lot of power but non world class work if you dont have tons of power or drive too hard. They are not easy to find and I don;t know what cars they came in, someone else should chime in with that. What engine do you have?

I don't know where your at but I have a T5 in IN for cheap. It's out of a 80s v6 TA.

Thanks for the replies.
The motor is a '58 chrysler 392. Mild build, slight cam, bored to 405 ci now. Balanced .
Im thinking its good for maybe 400 horse.
originally did the automatic just because of ease of installation.
But witha slave cylinder thinking a manual might not be too tough.
Going to check the links, about the t-5.
Thanks, Russ

What about swapping that turbo 400 for a 700r4? They have a real low first gear and a nice overdrive. We use them in T Buckets. A converter from an s10 with a 4cyl will stall at about 2500 RPMs. These are lock up converters. A simple matter to run one wire to the trans off a toggle switch.

So you have a real low first gear ratio and a nice stall speed for off the line hole shots, then you have a OD and a lock up converter for highway driving and decent fuel mileage.

Rpm,
You know that might be the easiest route. Isn't the 700R 4
a direct swap for the turbo 400?
What about a transmission kickdown cable? Is that critical on those trannys? Is that an issue? I had a bit of a problem getting the throttle cable on this setup. Not alot of room. Does the 700 r4 take the same kind of abuse the turbo 400 would take? thanks Russ

It does take a cable and it is very finicky. Yes they will take a lot of abuse. I don't think it is a direct bolt in, you may have to move the trans mount.

They are no way near a direct bolt in, different yokes, different lengths, different shifter, and different mount locations. And unless built a 700r will NOT take abuse. They might be ok in a T bucket but most of them won't be heavy enough to hurt the drivetrain. Now I'm not saying they can't be a good trans but I wouldn't put one behind 400 hp in its stock form.

Hey
ok, maybe for lack of funds at the moment, ill live with the turbo 400. I guess unless i pony up the dollars for a built 700r4, theres not a do able swap for right now. This car is now a mostly local cruiser for the moment.. i do like the appeal of how the 700 lets you have fast and economical. My current gearing makes for fun, but crummy mpg

Hello Oldboy, Im looking at 700 r info myself,trying to learn stuff about it ect. There is some good info on you-tube. Check out Mad dog transmissions. He has some good videos on there. Im even thinking about buying one from him. He is near Atlanta Ga.

Many transmissions available out there 700r4-200r4-350c-ect one thing to remember is the rpm drop in 4th at 60-70mph is 750-800rpm. Add the lock-up clutch it drops 150-250rpm more. SOMETIMES guys put overdrives in there 2.50- 2.79-3.00 geared rod with 30in or bigger tires,and the motor starts lugging at that speed. The rpm drop is just to much with out a rear gear change. Not saying this is your case, just food for thought. Trying to add info like this to my sight just never enough time in the day. thanks Tobby

Latest posts

Back