Very Close Call Today

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couper

RRR Supportor
So the kids were over today for Fathers Day. I asked the little guy who will be 6 next month if he'd like to take a walk down the the creek. My son says....I'll come along, to which I reply....you don't trust me??? He laughs it off and comes along. Thank god he did.

Along the way I pass an open garage and see the owner of the house working on his project. Another neighbor told me about what he was building and I was anxious to meet the guy and see the project. Nice guy, cool project. Custom built frame, Corvette drive train with a VW pick-up truck on top.

Anyways, he pops the hood.....shows me the engine bay, reaches in the driver side window and starts the bugger. The engine roars and the truck jumps into reverse and slams into the van that was parked 5' behind it. I guess it didn't have a neutral safety switch wired yet. When it started my son grabbed the little guy and picked him up so the exhaust wouldn't hit the kid in the face.

Thank god he picked up the grandson and stepped out of the way. The lil guy was just picking up sockets from the floor behind the truck and if I was with him alone he would have been behind that truck.

I almost passed out and was sick to my stomach for hours.

wow....... :eek:

Better be carefull from now on... sound to me like a whole bunch of luck was used up at once... holy crap

Wow that must have scared everyone. I make a point of never standing between cars even when one is running - I can't even stand seeing someone waiting to cross the street and they are standing on the traffic side of a telephone pole - but a little guy wouldn't know that. Thank god his dad had picked him up.

That's a scary one & glad your son went along!!!

Neutral safety switches are mandatory!!! At Lonestar Round Up several years back my son & I were looking at all the cars & had a similar experience! Round Up is in a big parking lot where the cars face each other. A guy in a blown big block was backing in to his spot & the motor died. The place was packed & my son & I were about 20 feet away. The guy gets out of his car & fiddles with the motor, then stands outside the car & turns the ignition switch on & the car was in gear & lunged forward & actually went up on to top of the front end of the car he was facing. Mind you, the place was packed but fortunately no one was in front of the car when this happened or they would have been killed! My son & I just looked at each other in disbelief!

Neutral safety switches... there's a reason!!!

BoB

That's a scary one & glad your son went along!!!

Neutral safety switches are mandatory!!! At Lonestar Round Up several years back my son & I were looking at all the cars & had a similar experience! Round Up is in a big parking lot where the cars face each other. A guy in a blown big block was backing in to his spot & the motor died. The place was packed & my son & I were about 20 feet away. The guy gets out of his car & fiddles with the motor, then stands outside the car & turns the ignition switch on & the car was in gear & lunged forward & actually went up on to top of the front end of the car he was facing. Mind you, the place was packed but fortunately no one was in front of the car when this happened or they would have been killed! My son & I just looked at each other in disbelief!

Neutral safety switches... there's a reason!!!

BoB

I think a lot of hot rodders think they "know better". Sometimes you do something in a hurry without thinking though. Those safety switches are meant to protect us from our own stupidity :)

I think a lot of hot rodders think they "know better". Sometimes you do something in a hurry without thinking though. Those safety switches are meant to protect us from our own stupidity :)

Agreed!!!
The ls truck im doing has the brake switch and a neutral safety switch on it!

Shows just how fast things can go bad.:eek:
So glad that no one was hurt.
As my dear old Grandfather "The Judge" used to say.It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
Torchie

Fast thinking and reaction on your son's part.

I am not running a safety switch as of yet, and I am very aware of it, having had a close call myself. I think I will make it this weekends project

Latest posts

Back