Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 03-11-2021, 10:17 PM
Builder Junky!

I agree with Doc. 'it's looking more like a lead-sled every day'. You put so many custom touches on this car and most people won't notice. They'll just like it, but won't know why.
Keep on tinkering, Torchie.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:23 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMac View Post
I agree with Doc. 'it's looking more like a lead-sled every day'. You put so many custom touches on this car and most people won't notice. They'll just like it, but won't know why.
Thanks Mac.
This old Dodge was never a styling trendsetter but Iím
having fun trying to make it into one.😜
Torchie
Old 03-11-2021, 11:29 PM
Builder Junky!

From after the war 'til 1957, Walter Chrysler was not into 'setting the trend'. Torchie, you'll have to rescue him sometimes.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:34 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
From after the war 'til 1957, Walter Chrysler was not into 'setting the trend'. Torchie, you'll have to rescue him sometimes.
I donít think he ever got over the failure of the Airflow cars, Mac.
I think they are one of the most beautiful production cars made during that time. Especially the first year 1934 ones.
Torchie
Old 03-12-2021, 04:31 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Exactly
Old 03-12-2021, 06:45 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I think you're doing some thing that very few other would attempt in the custom car world. It's not a cookie cutter merc, shoe box, etc.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
I think you're doing some thing that very few other would attempt in the custom car world. It's not a cookie cutter merc, shoe box, etc.
Thanks gang.
I've never been a big fan of the shoe box Fords, kenny. Although there are a few that I would park in my shop.
In most peoples minds the 49-51 Mercs are the ultimate in "Lead sleds". I don't disagree with that. I would love to have one myself.$$$$$
Even as far back as the mid 50's some of the car mags were bemoaning the fact that there were so many custom Mercs they didn't see what else could be done to them.
With a custom it's all the little things that add up to the overall picture. At least to me. Change the tail lights. Modify the headlights. Come up with a different grill. Shave and fill. Chop or not. Lower the stance. The list goes on....

More and more Mopars are getting the custom treatment now as they are still a less expensive starting point.
Plus. If you want to end up with something different. Start with something different.
If and when I get to that point. The thing that will really make mine stand out in a crowd is the fact that I sectioned it. Even back in the day that was, and still is, considered a radical modification.
Thanks for all the support.
Keep on keeping on....
Torchie
Old 03-12-2021, 01:16 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The one thing I admire most is you just keep on keeping on.

The sectioning sure is radical but after the chop it was the only sensible thing to do... Imo, that goes for a lot of chopped cars , but most don`t.
I can`t wait to see it in the colors you chose for it. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:48 PM
Builder Junky!

To drag Torchie and Dutch further along this sectioning path, I've seen a few shoebox Fords sectioned and not chopped. Whew, talk about 'dorky'.
Keep on tinkering, Torchie, you're doing fine.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
The one thing I admire most is you just keep on keeping on.

The sectioning sure is radical but after the chop it was the only sensible thing to do... Imo, that goes for a lot of chopped cars , but most don`t.
I can`t wait to see it in the colors you chose for it. Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks dutch.
I learned a long time ago it's much harder to hit a moving target.
Pics show the planned color scheme.
It's a bit of a homage to one of my favorite custom. The Ina Mae Overman's Lincoln. Built by Valley Customs. This car still exists and is getting a much deserved full restoration back to it's former glory.
The colors i will using are from the 1957 Johnson Javeiln outboards that I restored.
Sort of a butterscotch Gold for the roof with a dirty white for the body.
The colors fit my imagined build time period and I have the mix codes in single stage urethane already.
With a rub afterwards I can come close to duplicating the "Soft" shine of old lacquer.
Something different yet again as you don't see many "white" customs anymore.
The interior color remains a question yet. If I want to really pick up on the Johnson colors I could do the dash and garnish trim in black. We shall see.

Quote:
To drag Torchie and Dutch further along this sectioning path, I've seen a few shoebox Fords sectioned and not chopped. Whew, talk about 'dorky'.
Keep on tinkering, Torchie, you're doing fine.
I agree Mac. Not a big fan of those.
The Ron Dunn Shoebox(also built by Valley Customs) come close but I'm still not sold.
Torchie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCC-Overman-52-Lincoln-P2-02-602x406.jpg (95.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1150944_598069620245822_545115249_n.jpg (61.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.jpg (126.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 400px-Ron-dunn-1950-ford.jpg (62.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 400px-Ron-Dunn-1950-Ford-3.jpg (69.8 KB, 15 views)