Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tractors

Tractors Yes, we love old tractors too... let's see 'um!

Old 02-09-2021, 08:39 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Mac. Yours will look nicer. My dad painted his with a brush. It looks great for a brush job. But would have looked better sprayed. He did a few that way. One he did was a Massey Harris Pony. A lot smaller. He had a couple of Allis Chalmers and a few Farmalls.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:53 AM
Builder Junky!

Kenny, I hope to spray this tractor. I agree that spraying paint looks a way better.
Dutch, That's the old way with PTOs. There is a tin sleeve over the PTO shaft that runs on plastic bushings. The safety sleeve just stops turning when it get in contact with anything.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:59 AM
Builder Junky!

I welded up the biggish crack in the exhaust manifold with partial success. Near the end I started chasing new cracks.
I painted the intake and then mounted them together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2656.jpg (107.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2657.jpg (87.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2658.jpg (96.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-11-2021, 10:41 PM
Builder Junky!

It's my job to get the secondary things ready for the motor. I thought to get a bellhousing ready to go. For Chrysler flatheads there are at least five different bellhousings, a marine one, a tractor one, a combine one, a car one and a truck one, and I needed a tractor one. #1 pic is a tractor bell on a longer flathead, the motor I'm rebuilding is out of a combine.
Not much progress happened today. I took the dust pan off the bottom. On pre-1962 Chryslers you have to take the flywheel off before you take the bellhousing off. Before you take the flywheel off you have to take the pressure plate off. Before you take the pressure plate off you should take the clutch cross-shaft out. Before you take the pressure plate off you should find out if you can turn the motor over, so you can get at the other half of the bolts. So I have quite a few jobs partly done and now I'm going to have to take this motor apart and break it free so I can get it turning over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2660.jpg (87.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-12-2021, 06:19 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Sounds almost like the order is in the reverse of most. Leave it to Chiseler, I mean Chrysler. It a good thing you are experienced at this. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

It wasn't just Chrysler that done some funky stuff back then.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:29 PM
Builder Junky!

I have some good news. Last night I was talking to an old friend who is a tractor guy. He is also an old Chrysler guy, [had a few Hemi's in big trucks and has a sweet '41 Plymouth coupe]. He told me a bellhousing removal trick that probably will work. The reason you have to take the flywheel off, is there are mounting pins from the engine block to the front side of the bellhousing, inwards from the circumference. Well, if you drive those pins back out of the engine block, you can lift the bell straight up off the flywheel. Then I can get the pressure plate off, but I think the flywheel bolts go in from the front, maybe, so I might still have to get the motor freed up. The picture shows the front of a pre-'62 V-8 bellhousing, but you can see why I can't take it off straight back like newer bells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1646.jpg (104.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-12-2021, 09:04 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMac View Post
I have some good news. Last night I was talking to an old friend who is a tractor guy. He is also an old Chrysler guy, [had a few Hemi's in big trucks and has a sweet '41 Plymouth coupe]. He told me a bellhousing removal trick that probably will work. The reason you have to take the flywheel off, is there are mounting pins from the engine block to the front side of the bellhousing, inwards from the circumference. Well, if you drive those pins back out of the engine block, you can lift the bell straight up off the flywheel. Then I can get the pressure plate off, but I think the flywheel bolts go in from the front, maybe, so I might still have to get the motor freed up. The picture shows the front of a pre-'62 V-8 bellhousing, but you can see why I can't take it off straight back like newer bells.
Interesting
Old 02-12-2021, 10:43 PM
Builder Junky!

Well, it turns out that you can't quite hammer the alignment dowels right out on this unit. I got them about 7/8 of the way and then they stopped dead. Even with the bolts out of the bellhousing and it pushed back 3/16" the dowels didn't quite come out of the engine block. 'Close' is only good in horseshoes and hand-grenades. It doesn't get an old Chrysler bellhousing off. Grumbling, I took the head off the motor and trimmed down a block to start beating pistons down. I finally broke that block and made another. The second block did get the crank to turn a little more than a quarter inch. When #2 block broke, I gave up.
Stress pressure makes me think better sometimes. I put a cutting blade on my angle grinder and reached in between the engine block and the bellhousing and cut the dowels off in less than a minute, then lifted the bellhousing straight up. It was easy to take the pressure plate off after that. In one picture I circled the cut off alignment dowels.
I also made an exhaust outlet gasket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2661.jpg (139.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2664.jpg (95.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2662.jpg (90.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder