My Pile of Parts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhead

I've been gathering parts for the past couple of months for my upcoming project. We all get a kick out of looking at pictures, so I thought I post a couple of my parts pile.

This is my 1941 Dodge cab that I pulled from a complete truck. It was a huge 2 ton and I had to place to restore it. The seller really loved the look of the hood and grill, which I thought was really ugly, so he kept the frame and front sheet metal and I bought the cab and title.

2009-10-171211005.jpg

It says C.P. COOPER on the door and something else under it that I can't really read.
DSCF5728.jpg

I took the glass and all the gauges out (I'm rebuilding them).
DSCF5729.jpg

DSCF5732.jpg

Then I scored a rebuilt 31 spline Ford 8.8 with disc brakes, LSD and 3.73 gears out of an Explorer for $175. I also bought the entire front suspension/steering from a 1955 F100 (minus the brakes and springs) for $100.
DSCF5734.jpg

And my latest score is 500 cubic inches of pure American glory. I got this running 1973 Caddy 500 and Turbo 400 in return for a few hours of aluminum welding. The only thing that's missing is the distributor which broke off during engine removal.
DSCF5733.jpg

I've decided to be as traditional as possible in this build, so, being a mechanical engineer, the first step was to design everything in CAD. Hahaha. If all goes well, it's gonna end up looking like the pictures below. The engine in the CAD model is a BBC. I just got the Caddy 500 a few days ago and I haven't had the time to update the models. All I really have left on the CAD model is the Watts linkage setup for the front, front x-member for air ride suspension, steering and of course the engine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy the pictures! :D

Hey Motorhead
Being a ME you might want to have a serious brain fade while you are building this. My past experience with ME on ethanol plant projects have been a pain in my but. Just funnin with ya. Looks like you got some good stuff to work with.

ill take that grill[P

The grill is gone
The grill is gone away

You know how the rest of the song goes. Hahaha! ;)

Looks great so far.

Thank you! :)

Hey Motorhead
Being a ME you might want to have a serious brain fade while you are building this. My past experience with ME on ethanol plant projects have been a pain in my but. Just funnin with ya. Looks like you got some good stuff to work with.

Mechanical engineers, you know, we're a rare breed! Hahaha! :)

Thats sweet! [cl Needs a mopar motor :D But I can appreciate Caddy power because it's not a boring sbc...keep us updated.

I like where you're headed. Solid cab and classic unique parts, looks like you're going to have some fun. Put it in the build thread and get busy!

Wish I had the time at work to draw Rod models. :D Or, do you have a copy at home...well, on second thought, don't answer that! Not all ME's are bad, there's just a good amount of them who have no business being in the mechanical world...their brains just aren't wired properly.

Thats sweet! [cl Needs a mopar motor :D But I can appreciate Caddy power because it's not a boring sbc...keep us updated.

I would have never done a small block anything for that same reason; they're way too common.

I like where you're headed. Solid cab and classic unique parts, looks like you're going to have some fun. Put it in the build thread and get busy!

Wish I had the time at work to draw Rod models. :D Or, do you have a copy at home...well, on second thought, don't answer that! Not all ME's are bad, there's just a good amount of them who have no business being in the mechanical world...their brains just aren't wired properly.

We use Solidworks at work, and I have a copy at home. Woops, I wasn't supposed to answer that! :p

I would love to start a build thread, but I'm a little too busy right now to make decent progress. I feel like if I start a build thread, I'm obligated to update it daily.

I totally hear you on "clueless engineers". I went to school with a lot of them, graduated with most of them, and have worked with some of them. Their number has grown smaller with the economy. I have heard a ton of things that have made me go "what the...", anything from putting K-type thermocouples in the middle of nuclear reactor to making an I-beam out of Cobalt to "as tight as possible" when determining the torque specs for production parts. LOL

Here's the score for today. I got these brand new 15x12 Cragars for $150. I have a feeling the tires are going to be very expensive. :rolleyes:

DSCF5735.jpg

I almost have all the parts I need to start the fab. I'm waiting on a few brackets from the waterjetter, but I pretty much have everything to keep me busy for a while. Look for a build thread pretty soon! :)

Here's one more picture. It's the tire setup! :D

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back