Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Exclamation ratty chevy

Here goes nothin. This is my '59 Chevy that I've been building slowly since I was 17. It's had 3 different front axles, 5 different rear axles, 5 different transmissions, 4 different engines, 2 transfer cases, and 3 beds on it since I started. I've built the steering a couple of different ways, but I finally got this one finished last year when I finished the Dana 60 installation.
The springs are 73-87 Chevy 4 inch lift springs that I built brackets and shackles for, there are no blocks.

The rearend is a 14 bolt full floater with a Detroit locker. The front and rear axles came off of an '86 1 ton. I converted the rear to disc brakes. It runs 3/4 ton front discs and calipers on the rear.

I made all of the steering rods out of 1 7/16" .320" wall DOM tubing, and 3/4" cold rolled plate. Of course there's no bumpsteer, and I can spin the steering wheel with one finger under ANY conditions. It tracks perfectly down the road at any speed. I'll get to the speed part in the next post.

I tapped into the steering box for hydraulic pressure to the steering cylinder.

I made the front driveshaft in January, and yes it's square tubing. I had the yokes available on a shaft I wasn't using, and having a "proper" shaft made was looking to be in the 500 dollar range. That's ridiculous. So I spent about 30 dollars on tubing and made my own. It works great.
It's a divorced transfer case, and the shaft in between is only 7.5 inches long if I remember right. It's a special build and cost $250 back in about 2004.

This picture makes me think of something else; I bought these tires new, and had them balanced, to zero balance. Big bias ply tires can ride smoothly down the highway without bouncing, if you can find someone worth their salt, that's willing to put the effort into balancing them. These are 38/12.5/16. Aside from the balance, these tires do flat-spot when it's parked, and they bounce around until they warm up and round out again.

Yup, that's a hydroboost under the cab. I have the original pedals through the floor. The original frame too, actually. The fuel tank is in the bed, so the fuel filter and fuel pump are there on the frame. It sorta makes me want to get around to building those driveshaft hoops that I've been thinking about for years.

"The way to get started is to quit talking, and begin doing." -- Walt Disney

42 Chevy build

8literbeater build

Last edited by 8literbeater; 11-22-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I built the engine. It's a 454 bored .030 and stroked .25. Some of you will already know, that makes a 489(8 liters). It dynoed at 490 horsepower, and 566 pound-feet of torque. The transmission is a NV4500, which is a big cast iron 5-speed.

The speedometer is electronic, so I can calibrate it easily to match tire size, or gear changes, which I hope I won't have to do anymore. When I had 35 inch tires, and the gears to match, the highway RPMs were the same as now with 38 inch tires, and 5.13 gears. The 35s were radial goodyears, and I had it up around 122-124 MPH a few times. It's fun to run off and leave the newer cars when they hit their speed governor. Since I put the bias ply Swampers on it, I have kept to a more conservative 100-105 top speed.

The 50 gallon gas tank can at least get me out of the state before I run low on gas. I've still never had this tank full since I put it in, in January. With 10.1 to1 compression, I have to use 91 octane gas.

Now I'm sure to get some criticism...

42 Chevy build

8literbeater build
Old 11-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Not from me..awesome truck..really like those home built front end pieces, look beefy as hell.. can't beat a BBC for power, I've got a built 468 in my 82 chebbie..

Tim

"Criticizing a guy's garage is like criticizing his wife. They may not all be beautiful, but it's his and that's where he goes for relaxation, recreation and a place to put his stuff. "
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thumbs up

Nice This is the tow truck we seen in your intro isn't it ?
"It's fun to run off and leave the newer cars when they hit their speed governor." [ddev [ddev [ddev [ddev Awesome
I love the 58 and 59 fleetsides

Jim
Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM

looks good
love them old trucks done like that loads of personality !
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Rebel Rodder

Very nice - I really like it. Want to sell it?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Something's wrong with that boy!

My grand dad had one of these. Awsome job you did there
Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM
He recycles the right way

Cool truck!

My 48 chevy flatbed http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604

The Roofus Special http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=roofus
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Got Fins?

Looks like a hydroboost unit, hows it work for you?
1st start up on propane
1st real drive
Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thumbs up

Thanks man.
Thanks man.
Thanks girl.
Thanks man.
Thanks man.

Dirtyrat, let me put it this way, if you have power steering, and a vacuum brake booster, switch. I absolutely love the hydroboost. I've loved the brakes on everything I've owned or driven that had hydroboost on it. This truck has only ever had manual brakes on it, which really worked well, but the hydro is the way to go. The brakes on this feel better than the brakes on my Cadillac. I couldn't be happier.

42 Chevy build

8literbeater build