1950 International L-112....Bringing a farm truck back to life!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep toying with the idea of a 4x4 rat, but still can't talk myself into it. I'll be a while fixing the cab though......I'm sure plans will change 3-fold by the time it's ready to be mocked up on a frame lol.

I've only got a few more things to take care of and I'll have the cab ready to pull off. Pull the steering column, tack weld a few braces in and take some measurements and I should be ready to go. Hoping to have a long weekend and get it off of there or atleast loose and ready for a few buddies.

Well I finally got a little time to work on the truck today....got the front kick panel unbolted and pulled out, then took the steering box lose at the frame and pulled the whole wheel/column/box out at once. Now just get the body mounts lose and the cab can come off.

And if you look close at the second pic, you'll see that the front cab mounts resemble leaf shackle bushings. Definitely not what I excepted. It's like the cab was made to tilt forward or something.

You are spoiled Pat! That's a good looking start for up here! [cl

I agree! Some people don't know what it's like in the rust belt! BESIDES if I wanted to BUY a body to start with, it woulda been a 1. Tudor sedan 2. 48-54 Chevy truck. And it wouldn't have been my grandpas!

Anyway I wire brushed the body mount bolts and sprayed them with some 50/50 acetone and ATF.....I'll bust them off with the impact (I hope) next chance I get. Then as soon as the ground freezes again I'll pull it outside and lift the cab off with the tractor and set the cab back inside to be worked on. THEN I'll save up a little extra cash and find me a donor Chassis. I think I have a trade worked out on a box Caddy BUT if not I'll try to get a caprice/impala chassis already setup with a chevy drivetrain. Then I won't have to build a motor before I can drive it :D

I tape off my chop line at 4" the other day....it looked like I wanted more. Then lo and behold someone with a similar truck that had really close to the chop I wanted, replied to me after about a month and they said theirs is a 5" chop. So all this time I was kinda using that truck as a gauge and it's an inch shorter.....so I'm going at least 5" now. Time to get the tape back out :D

You are spoiled Pat! That's a good looking start for up here! [cl

Probably true but we get our share of weather induced rust in Missouri. I fixed body rot on my 48 for 4 years before it was ready for paint. It definitely raises your metalworking skill level!

Well it's been a while since I've updated, but really it's just because I forgot to lol. I got the dash and everything out and got the cab off the chassis a month or so ago. Now I'm just waiting for a little extra time and warmer weather to start working on the cab and deciding what route to go on a frame. My son turns 2 this month and my 2nd son will be here around the first week of April, so I've still got 3 years left to make my original goal.....I think I'm well within that range. BUT I doubt I'll get much time to work on it until late summer because of the new baby. Anyway, here's some pics!

And I'm bout to start on another slightly more important rat, so the binder will have to sit idle even longer, lol. I've been waiting on this one for a while now, but my mother in law finally brought me this beauty all the way from South Carolina up to Ohio.....hoping to get it finished for my son in the next few months, so he can cruise around all the local shows in style :D It's an old "Radio Super" which is a smaller version of the Radio Flyer. It's a little rough, but that's how we like em......it matches the binder perfect!

Got Your Prioities Right

Sound like your having fun with all the projects. [cl
Congrats on the new baby.
Check in now and then, babies, wagons and rats are all news worthy. [;)

Well not much has happened on the IH since march apparently. We had our second son April 4th, so between him and our 2yr old little boy plus work I haven't had much time for the old truck. So to give a quick update, things have kinda changed gears on the 50 binder and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be riding on a complete (slightly modified) Ford Crown Vic Chassis possibly running the factory 4.6 SOHC and fuel injection. I may change my mind after I start stripping the wiring away from the body and decide to drop in a gnarly SBC, but for now the plan is to retain as much crown Vic as I can....partially because they sound really wicked wicked with headers and all the emissions crap gone AND partially because I'm basically trading parts for the car and so to date I still have ZERO dollars in the truck or the chassis. SOOOO.......we'll see how it goes this winter.

I did however build a rat back in May....we needed something for the car shows this summer :D

Well not much has happened on the IH since march apparently. We had our second son April 4th, so between him and our 2yr old little boy plus work I haven't had much time for the old truck. So to give a quick update, things have kinda changed gears on the 50 binder and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be riding on a complete (slightly modified) Ford Crown Vic Chassis possibly running the factory 4.6 SOHC and fuel injection. I may change my mind after I start stripping the wiring away from the body and decide to drop in a gnarly SBC, but for now the plan is to retain as much crown Vic as I can....partially because they sound really wicked wicked with headers and all the emissions crap gone AND partially because I'm basically trading parts for the car and so to date I still have ZERO dollars in the truck or the chassis. SOOOO.......we'll see how it goes this winter.

I did however build a rat back in May....we needed something for the car shows this summer :D

Must be something with these internationals. I started mine, then had my daughter, then it stalled out.
I haven't, however, made any killer projects for her like your wagon :(
Maybe I need to do that.

Thanks. It's been a lot of fun. It gets attention anywhere we go...people always stop us and ask for pics and ask if I built it etc. Several people have asked where I got "an I beam axle and leaves that small" can't believe it when I say I made it all. We've still got a lot to do for next year....I've got a shifter made already and I'm gonna build a steering wheel, metal bomber seat, seat belt, pedals, put the wishbones on the front end and re-work the steering so each wheel turns instead of the whole assembly and I've already got headers made too but gotta fix steering first. May put a grill on it too, haven't decided yet.

Wagon

I like the wagon! I built a similar one a few years ago and my advice is to keep the weight reasonable. If it is too heavy to lift in and out of your vehicle, it is not going to be used much.

Additionally, going over curbs, through mud, and carrying it up a flight of stairs will all be needed at some point. You are going to have to do that and manage a kid at the same time.

Latest posts

Back