Anybody ever do a rat build with a ford ranger?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
Just curious..... Kids got an old 88 ford ranger good v6, trans and rear end... body is shot...no bed or fenders left ... wondered if anyone has ever done a build using one of these? Or do we just sell it off??? [S Kid was asking me and thought I'd ask the masses....

One of the local high schools here are making a Ranger in a rat in their shop class, just started last month, My nephew goes there,i'll ask him to get some pics.
The rival shcool made one out of a cj Jeep tub,on a full size Ford 1/2 ton chassis,w/351 , tried to get a T-bucket look, succeded somewhat and not a bad job for a bunch of kids.

Just make a frame and use everything you can from the ranger. Then chop and narrow one of your F1 cabs.
my2c.gif

That was my thought, but don't have the F1(s) yet.

Just make a frame and use everything you can from the ranger. Then chop and narrow one of your F1 cabs.
my2c.gif

guy is driving me crazy....always on the move, never in town.. still trying to get him stopped..... anyway.... I'll discuss it with the kid and see what his hyperactive, I want it done now, no patience can't wait, thoughts are on it... me, it's slow and steady.... sometimes a little slower than steady....lol

I have a 89 ranger cab sitting in the wings just for that purpose. Plans are at the moment...
A couple of pie slices in the floor and roof to pinch the body to the close dimensions of a model A cab width,
stand the windshield posts up vertical, flat glass windshield,
lengthen the roof to make up for the extra length because of windshield placement,
make a visor from the second roof I have for it,
incorporate a model A cowl,
and of course chop the roof.
And the hardest part of all....make it look cool and not like a clown car.
Have pretty much what I need for it in parts, just need the time to get at it!!
My Avitar is the intended look and inspiration, we'll see.

The next door neighbor is building a mid 30's pick up cab and put it on the ranger frame...as he pointed out to me, it doesn't have the bends in it like the S-10 frame does (widen out after the front suspension). It makes for mounting an older cab easier and not have to trim around the cowl area

Latest posts

Back