Drill Doctor to the rescue.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
Got tired of dull drill bits and can't afford new ones! So I found a used Drill Doctor drill sharpener on line.
Sharpens standard point 118°, split point 135° and masonry bits. 3/32"-3/4" bits.
Works good so far. I already have someone that's want to borrow it! 👍
IMG_20240930_134031200_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240930_134215082.jpg

Always wondered if they worked decent. I've gotten used to sharpening on a grinder and do pretty good but that would be welcome change

I bought a grinder....watched a bunch of videos and got some coaching from some of you guys. Very hit and miss for me. I'm very rough on drill bits. I did buy a 3 pulley drill press, also recommended by you guys and I run my drills much slower now....but still rough on drill bits.

Lastly.....I normally buy a set of bits from Home Depot or Lowes.... but when I buy singles when doing a job I get them from the hardware store out of a case, more expensive but higher quality bit that drills more holes.

I used to work in factory maintenance, we had to learn to sharpen our own bits.
As I'm getting older, my eye sight isn't as good as it used to be, so it takes a bit longer to get them right then it used to.

I had a buddy give me one of those Drill Doctor sharpeners because he couldn't get it to work correctly. I couldn't get it to work well for me either, it was much too slow for a sort of sharp bit. The Drill Doctor sharpened bits lost their cutting edge after a couple of holes. The bits I sharpen myself can cut 10 holes and still be going.

Smallfoot, don't push so hard on the bits as you are drilling (especially as the bit is about to get through the metal), and they probably won't break as much.

Latest posts

Back