Headlight help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

I hope this is the right place to post this one problem.I have sent some pics with this post in hopes of gaining some help.I bought these empty headlight buckets but I need help filling them.Would do I buy to make them usable.? The opening is 7 inches across.As you can tell there's nothing inside so what do I need to install headlights..? Yes I know I need to buy a pair :D but what else..?I am guessing I need headlight buckets but finding a pair for these will be too expensive.How do I keep the buckets in there once I have them..? I tried looking for trim rings but the quest is slow.Any and all help would be grateful.Thanks guys...oh....and any girls that help too..:D

Attachments

• SANY0248.jpg
    SANY0248.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 30
Isn't a regular hi/low sealed beam 7 inches across? The three square cut outs in the innerlip would be where the locators would sit. (They should be molded right in the glass at the rear of the light.) Also, they should be positioned so the top of the light, is at the top of the bucket. The trim ring would hold the whole works together. Sniper

Isn't a regular hi/low sealed beam 7 inches across? The three square cut outs in the innerlip would be where the locators would sit. (They should be molded right in the glass at the rear of the light.) Also, they should be positioned so the top of the light, is at the top of the bucket. The trim ring would hold the whole works together. Sniper

Yes, but he has no trim ring. The only thing I have come up with is to pop rivet in some banding material to act as a clamp probably 3 pieces with the ends just around the edges of the bulb.

headlites

i now its not the proper way to do it but it worked for me so take it for what its worth... these are buckets out of a 1945 ford p/u they unbolt from the fender,

these smaller 7" buckets are very shallow and fit inside your larger buckets with some trimming(the part that some purest's may not like)

trim as needed, drill 3 small 1/8 inch holes and screw them to your buckets.

now place bulb in chrome trim ring that came with the 1945 ford buckets, mark and drill three small 1/8inch holes(for mounting trim ring and bulb to large bucket.

install three screws thru holes in chrome trim ring and with bulb installed thread them into your ol buckets and bulbs are mounted.

most buckets are slotted on bottom to allow for adjustments so mounting them solid is not a problem.

like i said this isnt the only way to do it but it is a cheap alt. to spending way to much to build a rod. dp1

pics

heres some photo's

Attachments

• headlitess.jpg
    headlitess.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 22
  • headlightsss.jpg
    headlightsss.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 35
  • headlightssss.jpg
    headlightssss.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 24
How about trim rings from a parcel delivery van (like a UPS truck) or a VW van? Might get those to work somehow. Probably can order the livery truck rings new and cheap - at least compared to rebops.

Problem solved...

Solved the problem with the headlights...I knew I was screwed when I bought these..Hoping I could make them work,BUT I found a solution.I put them on the BAY for someone else to deal with and BOUGHT another pair...complete..!! :D

I ran into the same problem with a set of 34 Dodge buckets but solved it by adding a couple of Vega buckets to them. Glad you got yours sold and found some others.
Maybe this will help someone else if they run into the same problem down the road. Here's a couple of pic of how I fixed mine.

1pic: removed existing ring from bucket.
2pic: cleaned up edge
3pic: fitted Vega bucket to Dodge bucket and welded it in
4pic: located headlight ring
5pic: grind to finish and work a little body filler around the welded section to blind surface.

Attachments

• DSCF0790.jpg
    DSCF0790.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0791.jpg
    DSCF0791.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0792.jpg
    DSCF0792.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0793.jpg
    DSCF0793.jpg