Headlight Identification Question???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

A Swap Meet Dealer (gave me) imagine that??? :eek: A very rusty but reuseable, bottom mount headlight. The bucket rim is 9 inches in diameter and 6 1/2 inches deep with a plain flat glass lens held on by a pot metal art deco style rim. There isn't any writing anywhere on the bucket but the metal prism type reflector is stamped on the bottom near the rim with (Brown "TJC" Universal). I know its a long shot, but does anybody know what auto makers might have used this type of headlight??? It might be an aftermarket light but I'd like to try and identify it just to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm seriously thinking about rewiring it and tinting the lens red and using it as a large single taillight. Getting it apart was no easy task without breaking it. The rim is flaking off in two places and I had to cut the retainer clamp screw off just to be able to take it apart to begin my overhaul on it.

If anybody knows anything about Brown Universal Headlights I'd appreciate your input. Sorry that I don't have a picture but my camera is on the blink.

Thunder1

Seen these before

Brown Universal was used by Chrysler and Dodge. The lights you describe are from the late 20's I believe. Good find if they are salvageable.

A late 20's Dodge or Chrysler?? - Cool! Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it might date to about that age just from the rim design and the flat glass lens. I've got it all disassembled and ready to put back together with upgraded electrical components.

Thanks again for your help on this!

Thunder1

Latest posts

Back