Hi ALL!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwaMan

New to the group and looking forward to gaining and sharing knowledge among the more experienced "Ratters"
I recently inherited my brother's rat after his passing a month ago. I had the car delivered from Tn. to NY and I'm still learning about it.
My major concern right now is that there is a paperwork SNAFU that I'm worried might prevent me from ever driving it here in NY!
The vehicle is (based on info I got from my brother's nots) a 1951 Ford pickup body on a 1990 Ford Ranger frame, with a Buick 4.6L motor.
I received the title in the mail yesterday, and low and behold it's TITLED as a 2016! Not only that, but two different VIN research groups have spit out the registration belongs to a 1957 PORCHE SPEEDSTER!
I know my bro would be heartbroken if I could never enjoy the rat, but NY being NY, I see no way of fixing this mess. Additionally, the VIN has a combination of only 8 letters and numbers, whereas current VINs have 17.
Is there any hope of fixing this so I can register it in NY?
Thanks for any and all feedback!
Swa

"C:\Users\swama\iCloudPhotos\Photos\IMG_2919.JPG"

Welcome to the clubhouse from Flawda! My condolences on the loss of your brother! Every state is different on title work and I can't help you on NY, but maybe somebody here can...

Hello and welcome to RRR.
I'm a flaming optimist, so I suggest you go to your registration office and explain what happened, then ask for their help. You might get lucky and have a clerk that has some empathy. All of the guys on this forum can understand that you're not trying to cheat the government or steal a car, so why can't an official. There has to be a way around this SNAFU. It will take work though.
Good luck.

I don’t know about New York or Tenn. The State of Rhode Island will use the same registration number for different classes number plates. The same number can be on trucks, cars, trailers, motorcycles antiques, etc. so the registration may still be legit. If you have a past reg.and title from out of state I would take it to the DMV and ask what to do

Sorry to hear about your brother! My suggestion is to take it to a title service company! I use them for iffy transfers because they know them down at the DMV & the DMV is notorious (at least around these parts) for tooling you around! Good luck!

BoB

I would search for a vin plate on the internet and then make up a bill of sale and have his wife or a family member of his sign it...

That should work for the DMV in the New York state...I have done a Willys and 53 Chevy truck like that...you will need a picture of the VIN plate and make sure it is attached to the firewall or the door post or something similar.

Good luck buddy.

Can't wait to see more pictures...

MikeC

That may well be true. All that should be needed would be a serial number attached to the body, that matches the serial number on the title.
Lots of custom cars have different parts swapped in and don't look anything like it did originally.

Years ago, I did have a "licensing agency" tell me that it would be best if the vehicle you are driving somewhat looks like what the title and plates say it is.

That said, things can get messy really quick with title issues, that is Fed territory, its all under the stolen cars guidelines.

Hi Swaman, I'm brand new here too but wanted to share my Nevada DMV experience. My dad's homebuilt reg. in MT. as a 1929 Mercedes Benz SSK but here in NV they weren't going to do that. So they scratched their heads, talked to other officers, made calls to Montana & finally decided what to do. But they did all the work & figuring out how to register it. They were great.

Welcome to the board Swaman. I thought NY and GA didn't require titles on vehicles over a certain age? Another way could be to remove the vinplate from the cab and start fresh. Here in AZ we get a state assigned vin. Now not all DMV offices are staffed to the highest level of competence or willingness to work with unusual cases. So one office may tell you it can't be done because they are'nt familiar with what you are trying to do....or care.... try somewhere else. Smaller towns that aren't busy are best and you aren't limited to your local office, you can go anywhere in the state. There are car NY car guys near who have experience dealing with this who can advise you too. Let us know and no need to give up there are others who have done this.

Latest posts

Back