It's Finally Home!! šŸ˜

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello my fellow motorheads! I just wanted y'all to know that my first rat rod (a '27 Essex coupe originally built by a guy in Stagecoach, NV named Farrell Hurt about 12-13 yrs ago) is now finally home in NorCal after having bought it earlier this year and was finally able to pick it up after WAY too long due to some unforseen issues (mainly being that my Dodge Ram was totaled in May when it was rear-ended by a DUI suspect running from the cops doing 80-90 mph with his headlights off...šŸ˜ ) Fortunately we all pulled through with only bumps and bruises and a little whiplash.
I'm sure some of you from the northern Nevada rat rod community knew Farrell and I wouldn't be surprised if we might've unknowingly crossed paths at some point at a show or two since it seems we had similar wild tastes in cars.
After learning more about him and his shop, I am very excited about owning this car with its history and, although my son and I are planning on adding some personal touches and upgrades to the car to make it more of a driver, we also would like to perhaps carry on the legacy of the car by reminding people who see it and letting them know who built the car originally and if all goes as planned, hopefully next year we'll be able to take it to some of the shows I know that he had taken it to before he passed away and maybe put some smiles on some of my fellow rat rodders' faces who might recognize the car and maybe hear some stories about him that they would like to share...lol.
And I would also like to give a big shout out to Ronnie Seagraves at Rustoration Garage in Fallon, NV, who has been very helpful with helping me learn more about the car as well as Farrell. So I'm looking forward to meeting some of you soon and I hope all of you had a great weekend!!
Motor On, Curt

Attachments

• IMG_20240930_154729917_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240930_154729917_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB
  • IMG_20240930_154752974.jpg
    IMG_20240930_154752974.jpg
    3 MB
  • IMG_20240930_154654171_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240930_154654171_HDR.jpg
    6 MB
Hello my fellow motorheads! I just wanted y'all to know that my first rat rod (a '27 Essex coupe originally built by a guy in Stagecoach, NV named Farrell Hurt about 12-13 yrs ago) is now finally home in NorCal after having bought it earlier this year and was finally able to pick it up after WAY too long due to some unforseen issues (mainly being that my Dodge Ram was totaled in May when it was rear-ended by a DUI suspect running from the cops doing 80-90 mph with his headlights off...šŸ˜ ) Fortunately we all pulled through with only bumps and bruises and a little whiplash.
I'm sure some of you from the northern Nevada rat rod community knew Farrell and I wouldn't be surprised if we might've unknowingly crossed paths at some point at a show or two since it seems we had similar wild tastes in cars.
After learning more about him and his shop, I am very excited about owning this car with its history and, although my son and I are planning on adding some personal touches and upgrades to the car to make it more of a driver, we also would like to perhaps carry on the legacy of the car by reminding people who see it and letting them know who built the car originally and if all goes as planned, hopefully next year we'll be able to take it to some of the shows I know that he had taken it to before he passed away and maybe put some smiles on some of my fellow rat rodders' faces who might recognize the car and maybe hear some stories about him that they would like to share...lol.
And I would also like to give a big shout out to Ronnie Seagraves at Rustoration Garage in Fallon, NV, who has been very helpful with helping me learn more about the car as well as Farrell. So I'm looking forward to meeting some of you soon and I hope all of you had a great weekend!!
Motor On, Curt
Alsome cause itā€™s up itā€™s running itā€™s out of the junk yard.

Very nice and good on ya for keeping the history alive!
Like I said, it seems like he was a well liked fellow motorhead that unfortunately left the shop too early and it seemed like it would be nice to let people know that I can't take all the credit for building the MaseRATi, as I have decided to call it. Plus when I start taking it to some of the shows that the car has been at before, I'm sure it will be a great conversation starter if nothing else. And as we all know, you can NEVER have enough car buddies, right?

Very cool hot rod right there...I dont think I have ever seen a Essex coupe like that before...my dad was huge Hudson guy back in the day so I knew what they were...

Glad you have the old guy and hopefully you bring us along as you do what you gotta do what you gotta do to make it a runner again...

Welcome to the forum buddy...
Mike C

Very cool hot rod right there...I dont think I have ever seen a Essex coupe like that before...my dad was huge Hudson guy back in the day so I knew what they were...

Glad you have the old guy and hopefully you bring us along as you do what you gotta do what you gotta do to make it a runner again...

Welcome to the forum buddy...
Mike C
Hey Mike, thanks for the props on the new car. I'm definitely one happy guy now that I have it home to play with. I have found a few things that I wasn't expecting to need to work on, mainly electrical as well as a pretty sloppy steering shaft that you can move in and out at least an inch, but certainly nothing that would've made me not pick it up, for sure. And you definitely won't find another Essex coupe like this one since the original builder evidently used parts from something like 15 other rides to build it. The back section behind the doors were from a 30/31 Model A, the running boards and rear fenders were fabbed up by hand along with the headlight set-up and then he widened the fenders to cover the Maserati suspension as far as I can tell. The darn running boards are 13" wide, which I've learned pretty quickly, get very hot in the sun because you have to basically remove the steering wheel, then scoot your butt out of the bucket seat and then crawl out across the running board to get out of the car.

Hey Mike, thanks for the props on the new car. I'm definitely one happy guy now that I have it home to play with. I have found a few things that I wasn't expecting to need to work on, mainly electrical as well as a pretty sloppy steering shaft that you can move in and out at least an inch, but certainly nothing that would've made me not pick it up, for sure. And you definitely won't find another Essex coupe like this one since the original builder evidently used parts from something like 15 other rides to build it. The back section behind the doors were from a 30/31 Model A, the running boards and rear fenders were fabbed up by hand along with the headlight set-up and then he widened the fenders to cover the Maserati suspension as far as I can tell. The darn running boards are 13" wide, which I've learned pretty quickly, get very hot in the sun because you have to basically remove the steering wheel, then scoot your butt out of the bucket seat and then crawl out across the running board to get out of the car.
If anyone wanted to see what the car looked like before all of the new mods were done, you can type in "Essex Burnout" on YouTube and there's a short video of the builder lighting them up when it had a tunnel-rammed BBC in it about 12 years ago.

Latest posts

Back